Would a school presentation be too stressful?

MantisFTW

Hi all, I had planned on bringing my two chams (panthers, one a little over a year and the other around 8 months) to my high school for a presentation. Im going to be bringing them around to a few classes and telling people about chams and how to care for them and what their habitat is like, where they're from, etc. But I started to wonder if this might be too stressful for the chams. I am bringing two separate temporary day cages to the school for them to stay in. I had originally planned on taking them out every now and then and showing the class, but I dont know if it could potentially harm them. Im sure people are going to ask if they can hold or pet them, should I tell them no? And is bringing them going to have any sort of long term effect on them?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want the presentation to go smoothly without them getting harmed or having any long term effects.

First of all, it really depends on the kids. If they are disciplined enough to stay calm for the whole period, then I'd say yes. This would be no problem for my AP and honors classes. But I wouldn't trust the standard kids at my school. Also, make sure they don't all crowd the cage. And I would not let any kids handle him. Especially if at all apprehensive, one time I had a friend who wanted to hold my tarantula, he was only slightly apprehensive but i thought he could handle it, but as soon as the tarantula walked onto his hand, he jerked it away and flung my pet across the room. He almost killed the poor thing. Also, If you have a closet or a secluded area, that's where I'd set up the cage. Then when the kids come in and sit down you just tell them whats up and once everyone is calm, take him out. I think the best way for you to show him to them is to have them remain seated, and walk around with the cham to their desks. If you do not have a secluded area to put the cage. Have your students line up in the hall before you let them in, and tell them whats up and to calmly take their seats.

EDIT: If you want to have the cham out for longer than you plan to actually be walking around showing him, bring in a ficus or other plant for him to chill on.

Last edited:
Yea I think if its a class of alot of teenagers they will want to all touch and hold them and surround them and if your chameleons arent used to that they will be stressed.

Depends a lot on your chams. Are they pretty laid back and don't mind people close to them? Or are they easily stressed? For example, I've taken my panther male to multiple summer camp and class presentations, but he's the type who will crawl on anyone without a care in the world. He will even shoot bug in the middle of an auditorium full of people. None of my other ones would handle this nearly as well! So for them I usually leave them in their cages and people can peek at them but that's all. And when they look like they're getting stressed I'd put their cages out of sight for a while.

Thanks all for the input! Ill definitely put it all into consideration.

As far as my chameleons personalities, Specs, my 1+ year, is pretty laid back. Ive let strangers handle him before with ease and this is actually his second presentation, so im not worried about him. Pastal, my 8ish month, is a little newer (Ive had him for approx 3 months), but his temperament is still pretty chill for a young one. I try not to take them out often other than when its necessary, but when I do he rarely flares up at me.

Also, if I ever let anyone hold my chams, I always ask them if theyre positive they wont freak and fling the poor thing somewhere. Ive seen this happen so many times to other pets, just like your tarantula case. But yeah, I probably wont let anyone hold them if it will be too stressful, thanks. I will also try to find a secluded area.

One more question before im done... speaking of stress, do mirrors freak chams out? Just a curiosity question...

Oh, and also, im not a teacher, im actually a student at the school. :p I got the impression you guys thought I was. The chams are being kept in the classroom with a trusted biology teacher, and Ill be popping in and out throughout the day checking up and presenting. Time to brush up on some cham knowledge...

I can input. I brought my large male panther to my daughter's 4th grade class (along with some other critters). He defiantly wasn't thrilled about being out of his cage, but an hour or two wont kill him. He is pretty laid back as far as chams go though. he wasn't fired up or anything. I brought him in a cage and no one was allowed to touch him. He even at a cricket in front of the class. I do have kids at home, so i am sure he is accustom to the noise and stuff already though.
A couple years ago I has a VERY large veiled and I brought him to my oldest sons boy scout event. All was well lol.
Even if it is stressful, you have to remember that they do encounter stress (on a large scale) in the wild. I am not advocating stressing them excessively, but an hour or so in a uncomfortable environment isn't going to hurt a healthy chameleon.

Honestly go with your gut. If you know your cham well enough you'll figure it out. My male veiled would love being the center of attention. He's a real hog when it comes to interacting with people. I've seen him walk out on strangers hands because I got such a sweet little guy.

As far as mirrors, it's really only if they can see their own reflection. They think its another male and as you know, chams are very territorial.

Thanks all for the input! Ill definitely put it all into consideration.

As far as my chameleons personalities, Specs, my 1+ year, is pretty laid back. Ive let strangers handle him before with ease and this is actually his second presentation, so im not worried about him. Pastal, my 8ish month, is a little newer (Ive had him for approx 3 months), but his temperament is still pretty chill for a young one. I try not to take them out often other than when its necessary, but when I do he rarely flares up at me.

Also, if I ever let anyone hold my chams, I always ask them if theyre positive they wont freak and fling the poor thing somewhere. Ive seen this happen so many times to other pets, just like your tarantula case. But yeah, I probably wont let anyone hold them if it will be too stressful, thanks. I will also try to find a secluded area.

One more question before im done... speaking of stress, do mirrors freak chams out? Just a curiosity question...

Oh, and also, im not a teacher, im actually a student at the school. :p I got the impression you guys thought I was. The chams are being kept in the classroom with a trusted biology teacher, and Ill be popping in and out throughout the day checking up and presenting. Time to brush up on some cham knowledge...
I'm a biology teacher with ap classes and regular Ed classes and I know that sometimes I get pretty busy and kids do things that I don't see. I would hate to see something happen to your pet. I'm sure your teacher is an awesome person, but kids are creative and some not so kind. Ive seen gum put into cages, pencils thrown at them etc. I used to have a Jackson's in my class and the kids respected it quite well, but I had to read them the riot act. The chameleon thrived until I took him home where he lived for several more years. I would have your chameleon dropped off and picked up if possible. What you are doing is a great thing, education creates appreciation for these creatures. Make sure you preach captive born, i have a feeling several of your friends will want one when your done. Just be careful and good luck!

I think it's a good idea...people are always so interested to hear about my cham. Just be sure to stress the fact that they are a pet that requires a lot of time and money. After seeing mine, a friend thought it would be a good idea to buy his five year old one...after I told him the price of the cham, not including the cage and supplies, he quickly changed his mind. People don't understand how delicate they are and they want them for their beauty. Especially panthers. Best of luck and let us know how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom