Would a lilac thrive.

I was looking at the safe plant list on flchams.com and I found lilac on the list, I've got several lilac bushes around my house, and Dax (my 2-3 month Cham) likes chilling on them when I bring him outside. I've got a jade plant in his enclosure right now, with some fake vines and a branch. I mist 3 times a day for about 5 min. each misting (by hand right now, but I'm building a mist king into his new enclosure). Right now he's in a 18 x 18 x 18 exo terra terrarium . I'm planning on moving him to a larger enclosure (2 1/2' x 3' x 4 1/2') with when he gets bigger and wanted to put a lilac bush in the enclosure with him. Has anyone done this, any thoughts/tips.

I am by no means an expert, but I do know a bit about plants. I enjoy growing them, and I suppose have somewhat of a "green thumb" if you will. I used to grow a variety of things, but now mostly grow Orchids, because they are more of a challenge, and not to mention beautiful.

As far as lilac bushes go as houseplants:

Lilacs MUST be in FULL sun and have WELL drained soil, so the constant watering from misting and drip systems would very well kill it. Also Im not sure how well they would grow in the organic soil you would have to use to pot it as they require acidic soil. To be perfectly honest, Im not sure it would do really well as a house plant.

If you are looking for a flowering plant, maybe try a hibiscus. From what I understand the petals are good for chams as well.

I am by no means an expert, but I do know a bit about plants. I enjoy growing them, and I suppose have somewhat of a "green thumb" if you will. I used to grow a variety of things, but now mostly grow Orchids, because they are more of a challenge, and not to mention beautiful.

As far as lilac bushes go as houseplants:

Lilacs MUST be in FULL sun and have WELL drained soil, so the constant watering from misting and drip systems would very well kill it. Also Im not sure how well they would grow in the organic soil you would have to use to pot it as they require acidic soil. To be perfectly honest, Im not sure it would do really well as a house plant.

If you are looking for a flowering plant, maybe try a hibiscus. From what I understand the petals are good for chams as well.

Thanks,

I think I'll try the hibiscus instead. Do you know of any other flowers that work well in a chameleon terrarium?

Back
Top Bottom