Would a chameleon be bothered/unable to sleep with a camera present?

CodyJ108

This is a question that I've tried researching and have yet to find an answer for. I've had the idea to put a camera or two in my enclosure, one that would record 24/7 and be viewable from a smart device at any point. The one camera in particular that I'm looking at is the Wyze Cam v3 (with an additional cover for waterproof protection), and one of the features I made note of is Nightvision and Infrared view. From what I understand, chameleons are able to see infrared light, and stuff such as infrared bulbs bother them when they want to sleep. So would the same be for cameras? Would the infrared feature make a difference?

The camera idea was really just for fun to begin with, and I could just turn them off for the night, but I just wanted to know if anybody else has experience with using cameras in their enclosure, even during the night? After researching this for a while I'm pretty much determined to find an answer even if I never use cameras at all!

Hi, I´m using a camera as well, however I would recommend to turn off the night vision option, because when they sleep, they sleep and I don´t think it will bring you anything but 12 hours of a portrait picture. And yes, IMHO the infrared could interfere with their sleep and why take risk for nothing.
Still using camera´s is really beneficial, it will give you a good insight of their daily routine and therefore you can react a lot quicker if something would be wrong with your cham.

Hi, I´m using a camera as well, however I would recommend to turn off the night vision option, because when they sleep, they sleep and I don´t think it will bring you anything but 12 hours of a portrait picture. And yes, IMHO the infrared could interfere with their sleep and why take risk for nothing.
Still using camera´s is really beneficial, it will give you a good insight of their daily routine and therefore you can react a lot quicker if something would be wrong with your cham.
That’s good to know. In that case I will likely just have the cameras set to turn off at the same time the lights do. Thanks for the input! For some reason I’ve searched several other forums and the only people talking about this topic are others asking the same thing, and not getting an answer lol

This is a question that I've tried researching and have yet to find an answer for. I've had the idea to put a camera or two in my enclosure, one that would record 24/7 and be viewable from a smart device at any point. The one camera in particular that I'm looking at is the Wyze Cam v3 (with an additional cover for waterproof protection), and one of the features I made note of is Nightvision and Infrared view. From what I understand, chameleons are able to see infrared light, and stuff such as infrared bulbs bother them when they want to sleep. So would the same be for cameras? Would the infrared feature make a difference?

The camera idea was really just for fun to begin with, and I could just turn them off for the night, but I just wanted to know if anybody else has experience with using cameras in their enclosure, even during the night? After researching this for a while I'm pretty much determined to find an answer even if I never use cameras at all!
ICBW, but doesn't the camera—like the chameleon's eye—just detect infrared? I didn't know they produced or projected any. :unsure:

As far as having a camera in there all the time, some do it. They're all different. My cham is a bit camera shy.... I think he sees it as the eye of a predator.

1649872423106.png

Having a camera in there for a time, he may get used to it. 🤷‍♂️

ICBW, but doesn't the camera—like the chameleon's eye—just detect infrared? I didn't know they produced or projected any. :unsure:

As far as having a camera in there all the time, some do it. They're all different. My cham is a bit camera shy.... I think he sees it as the eye of a predator.

View attachment 323013
Having a camera in there for a time, he may get used to it. 🤷‍♂️
aaaaaah camera monster!

I've recently installed 3 camera's in my enclosure. And my cham didn't seem scared of them. Maybe curious and its only ben a few days and he seems to not even notice them at all. In addition I have provided him hiding places away from the camera's too.

I keep one outside of my enclosures. It’s nice to be able to watch when the female goes to her lay bin. That way I don’t go and disturb her until she emerges out

Back
Top Bottom