Worried about stitches

Darthroastcoffee

Avid Member
I just got back from the vet with my panther chameleon. I was told he had a cloacal prolapse. He put it back in and put two stitches in and I'm just worried about him not being able to poop. I had seen that he tried and it didn't come out and it went back in I think he stitched to close together. is there any safe way to soften up his poop or something I'm just afraid of them ripping out or him getting backed up
IMG_0771.JPG

You can try baby food pears. Feed soft insects for a few days. If the vet is good then the stitches should be far enough apart. Good luck.

The stitches look a little close in my humble opinion however I would just feed soft insects like Kinyonga said and keep your chameleon extra hydrated. Also, you should ask the vet. He may have his own solution

It pushed back out and looks infected I'm trying to find a doctor that can help me with a payment plan plus every exotic vet by me that can do it is off because off the holidays

Make sure to take proper care of your hornworms and wax worms, I have heard many instances where they will bite the chameleon's tongue as they eat it. Some ways to combat this risk is to cut off the heads, which sometimes works, but it immediately kills the insect. This loses the appeal to the chameleon sometimes, so you could also just crush the first half of the head with a hard, flat object so that the worm twitches attractively for the chameleon. You could also just snip off the mandibles with nail clippers or something. It doesn't happen that often, so just do this to your worms if you don't want to take the risk.

It pushed back out and looks infected I'm trying to find a doctor that can help me with a payment plan plus every exotic vet by me that can do it is off because off the holidays
Sorry that happened again. Seems like the stitches were not to close together .Look and see if you can find a emergency vet open that can help,Hope all goes well for your little man,Keep us posted

After over 30 years o keeping chameleons and other reptiles.....I still can't pull legs of crickets or make the insects suffer by half killing them. :(

Any word/progress on the chameleon?

Back
Top Bottom