worried about possibly gravid female jackson's chameleon

hrbrown29

I'm worried about my female jackson's chameleon. I am a new chameleon owner and purchased a female jackson's chameleon from a reptile show a couple of months ago. It came as a great surprise when she had babies just over a week ago (two stillborn and one live). She still looks pretty round and I read that it's a possibility to have multiple clutches from the same encounter with a male, so I think she may still be gravid.

I moved the location of her cage and cleaned it out yesterday evening (which seemed to make her nervous). Since then she has not moved from the same spot on her stick, is in a sleeping position (resting jaw on stick, tail curled), and has no interest in drinking/eating (I offered crickets and superworms). A few moments ago she went for the superworm I placed right in front of her, but seems too exhausted to finish it (it's just hanging halfway out of her mouth). It has been over 24 hours since I last saw her move around the enclosure. I'm worried sick! How should I proceed???

Thanks for any suggestions!

Id continue to water her and offer food every so often. If she hasnt eaten in a week or so, id take her to the vet. You can possibly try dripping plain pedialite and water from a dropper onto her mouth as she drinks. Maybe that will give her some umph.

She will probably remain still or not very active. This is all normal in a gravid female, any longer without food and id think of taking your next actions.

If you just moved her into a new cage she could be still little unsure of her surrounding at the moment. If she is acting like this im surprised she took food. She may need a little time to get use to her new home. Do you know if she is Captive Bred or Wild Caught?

Please fill the form out to be sure you are caring for her properly. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

What color are her urates? If they are not white id suggest this https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/594-shower-chamber-treatment.html and a ultrasonice cool mist humidifier fogging half the cage..

sigh of relief...

Thank you for the reassurance! She is doing much better today (thank goodness). She is moving around more and has eaten one superworm and a few crickets. I can breathe a little now.

:D So glad to hear that she is doing better. How is the baby that survived. Is it still doing good. I would have stuff ready encase she has more, which sounds likely. Keep us updated. Any pics especially of babies is very much appreciated around here.:D

post birthing concerns

imo, probably a good time to submit a complete help form.
also probably a good time to offer some new foods, like bbfs.
its not all that uncommon for them not to eat after birthing.

post birthing can be a real critical time,
its not uncommon for some form of mbd to follow birthing.

imo, i would submit a complete health form and re-evaluate her husbandry from the ground up. better safe than sorry. jmo

Back
Top Bottom