worried about panther chameleon growth!!!

marr.lenn

my uncle has a panther chameleon and a veiled and I myself have a veiled but I'm actually concerned for his panther chameleon its about the size of a quarter a bit bigger and what I find worrying is that its around 11months old and hasn't grown much it has only shed four times since he's had him my uncle got him at only six months old

my uncle has a panther chameleon and a veiled and I myself have a veiled but I'm actually concerned for his panther chameleon its about the size of a quarter a bit bigger and what I find worrying is that its around 11months old and hasn't grown much it has only shed four times since he's had him my uncle got him at only six months old

Could it be a pygmy Cham?

Attachments

• IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 137
those are the two best pictures I could get of it next to a quarter it gets very timid at times

Attachments

• IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 95
I took this picture a few days after he got them cham which means it was 6 months old at the time

Attachments

• IMG_1916.PNG
    IMG_1916.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
So you are saying for a fact, you know this chameleon is 11 months old? If so, there is a chance he is a freak of nature or very possible he has a parasite. I know someone that ran a chameleon rescue and had two veild chameleons that were a year or so old and were the size of a 2 month old. I have only seen this once, so if this is the case it is rare. The chameleon in my avatar is a beautiful, healthy full grown adult now, but I named him Pee Wee because he wouldn't grow. He didn't eat a whole lot and I finally had him tested for parasites and sure enough he had Coccidia. Once he was treated, he started growing like crazy.

Where did he get him from?? Are you 100% sure of his age? That first picture (the one from the day he got him) looks like he just hatched

So you are saying for a fact, you know this chameleon is 11 months old? If so, there is a chance he is a freak of nature or very possible he has a parasite. I know someone that ran a chameleon rescue and had two veild chameleons that were a year or so old and were the size of a 2 month old. I have only seen this once, so if this is the case it is rare. The chameleon in my avatar is a beautiful, healthy full grown adult now, but I named him Pee Wee because he wouldn't grow. He didn't eat a whole lot and I finally had him tested for parasites and sure enough he had Coccidia. Once he was treated, he started growing like crazy.
I will definitely let my uncle know and have him get the cham checked

Where did he get him from?? Are you 100% sure of his age? That first picture (the one from the day he got him) looks like he just hatched
if it was recently hatched in that picture then that means the cham should be 8 months so wouldn't that means its size is still too small?

It is a possibility, but some "breeders" don't want the cost of feeding new hatchlings so they sell them that day or the day after and just tell people that they are older. That is what happened to the person I rescued my first cham from. So he could be on track.

That said I would definitely have him checked!! And an FYI sometimes the first 1 or 2 tests can come back clean if their load is small so I would suggest that if the 1st comes back clean, wait a week-ish then have him retested.

What is your uncle feeding, and how many?

It is a possibility, but some "breeders" don't want the cost of feeding new hatchlings so they sell them that day or the day after and just tell people that they are older. That is what happened to the person I rescued my first cham from. So he could be on track.

That said I would definitely have him checked!! And an FYI sometimes the first 1 or 2 tests can come back clean if their load is small so I would suggest that if the 1st comes back clean, wait a week-ish then have him retested.

What is your uncle feeding, and how many?
from what I know he's feeding it fruit flies and phoenix worms

Back
Top Bottom