Worried about our baby

RoseWithWings

Hi Everyone,
Please help me, I need a second opinion. I received my 4 month old Female Panther Cham on Wednesday and after releasing her into her screen terrarium she went directly to the bottom and won't leave unless I move her to the top. The basking spot 95ish ambient screened temp about 79 to 82 degrees. I have a brand new UVB bulb, and am using a 50 watt basking bulb that is hanging above the cage it is not directly on the cage. I have a mist king and humidifier unit and the general humidity is between 65ish to 88ish throughout the day.

When she's at the top I slowly put food in with my hand so she can learn that my hand brings food not harm, the first day I left her alone, the second day (thursday) I had to bring her to the top again and she was a little cold, she ate 5 crickets and as soon as she got done eating she went back to the bottom, then today she was still at the bottom, I moved her to the top and she ate 3 superworms then went straight back to the bottom and hasn't moved since..

I understand she is new to me and she is in a new cage, but she's undisturbed during the day while I am at work, and I only interact with her when I feed her. Her poop seems healthy and hydrated and i have a healthy hibachis plant at the bottom of her cage. I also have a digital gauge in her cage.

Her is a pic of her and her home, any advice would be great!

photo-15.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 113
The cage looks amazing.

One piece of advice: You said you just got her. Moving her into a new enclosure is not going to help her get used to you.

You are stressing her out a little bit. She is in a new environment trying to get used to it yet you are moving her to the top. Just let her get used to the new environment, and in a few days or a week she will be fine. :)

Just don't bother her too much and eventually she will start to bask.

Is she sleeping during the day, that is my one question?

Also please fill out the help form, that will help a lot.

Thank you for replying! She's wide awake during the day, she stares at everything all the time, she doesn't freak out when i put my hand in there with food, her colors are normal, but they do get darker when she's under the basking light.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther Chameleon- Female, estimated age 4 months, owned for 3 days
Handling - Rarely my hand is present to feed that's it.
Feeding - Crickets and Superworms
Supplements - reptical calcium. herptive without D3.
Watering - She is misted for 1 minute, every two hours per day with our mist king
Fecal Description - Her droppings were very large. Urates are bright white, no yellowing seen.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Reptibreeze 16"L x 16"W x 30"H
Lighting - 50 watt heat bulb with new 5.0 uvb light bulb. Lighting schedule roughly matches daylight hours, currently 7am to 8:30pm
Temperature - Basking temp ranges between 95F. Night temps are no lower than 80F. Thermostat & digital thermometer are used.
Humidity - 65-88
Plants - 1 large ficus, fake plants
Placement - Cage located in bedroom, 3ft above ground. Myself and my boyfriend are in the room at night to sleep we work mostly during the day
Location - Arizona

Thank you for replying! She's wide awake during the day, she stares at everything all the time, she doesn't freak out when i put my hand in there with food, her colors are normal, but they do get darker when she's under the basking light.

Sounds normal!

Just let her get used to her new environment. Don't pick her up for a couple of days, just let her roam and explore by herself in her new enclosure.

But that's what we are worried about she's not exploring, she just sits on the same branch and doesn't do anything all day, she doesn't move unless i move her to the top like i mentioned earlier she eats then returns to the same spot. But for now on I'll just stop moving her.

I agree to give her time to settle in and quit moving her. You can always add some foliage near he basking site to make her feel more secure. 95 is hotter than I use for my females and usually have in between 88-90.

I would take her basking temp down to 84-85. Your night time temps ideally should be 10 degrees lower to slow her metabolism down in order to sleep. Is there d3 in calcium? How often do you give it? Does she get plain calcium?
Welcome to the forum.:)

Good news today we came home from work and found her at the top of the cage taking in the heat! After we fed her she walked back down to the bottom of the cage and hasn't moved since. I Think she is starting to get more comfortable with her new home.

Good news today we came home from work and found her at the top of the cage taking in the heat! After we fed her she walked back down to the bottom of the cage and hasn't moved since. I Think she is starting to get more comfortable with her new home.

That is good news. I am sure she has been moving around her enclosure when you are not there. They can be sneaky like that lol. Good luck with your new chameleon. She is very cute :)

Back
Top Bottom