Worried about my Veiled, advice needed!

Chronikeeper

Ill just start with this...

Chameleon Info:
My Chameleon - Male,Veiled, about 4-6 months of age.

Handling - I take him outside for about 30min every other day.

Feeding - He eats about 10-12 3/8" crickets and the usually gets super and/or wax worm each day (still trying to fatten him up a bit). Cup fed but he picks off the escapees pretty well. Half of the feeders he gets in the morning, the other half around 4pm, worms when he comes out. feeders are gutloaded with Flukers complete cricket diet and fresh veggies.

Supplements - He gets a multivitamin about every 10days, calcium with d3 every other day (the cal. without D3 is in the mail to be used daily)

Watering - I mist several times a day and see him drinking, he has used the small glass to drink from on occasion though.

Fecal Description - Normal, brown and white. never tested for parasites.

History - He is fairly active during the day, moves between perches and all that. Occasionally he will come do a lap around the cage on the ground (not sure if cause for concern or just checking it out/ looking for crickets).

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cages 18x18x24

Lighting - reptilight 5.0 for UVA/B and a 40watt incandescent for heat. both come on at 9am off at 9pm.

Temperature - ambient temp during the day is 75 with basking in the low 80s. at night gets down to around 70.

Humidity - humidity hangs around 50% I use a fogger and mist at least 5times a day.

Plants - Live pothos inside and a money tree for when he goes outside

Now the reasons for my concern...Recently he has been making this strange noise almost wheezy or dry heaving,and extending his chin (forgot the real name). He does it once or twice a day. Also he has been walking on the ground for a little bit a couple times a day. and he lays on his perches rather than standing but only about half the time. After some research Im worried about a the possibility of a URI...There is no noticeable mucus and he seems to breath easily and his eating certainly has not slowed. Im considering a vet visit in the near future just wanted some words of wisdom before i jump the gun.

Sorry for the sideways picture

Attachments

• 20130713_114603.jpg
    20130713_114603.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 123
I am by no means an expert. However, what I have experienced and what I have read here in the past would lead me to believe that a vet visit would be your best line of defense, now! Make sure that the vet is rep/herp savy and can make a quick judgement. Your cham needs to be tested for respiratory problems and maybe even for parasites, I would think. No matter what it costs, it will be money well spent to save your little buddies health. I would not feel comfortable using d3 every day. That can make him sick. I would be sure not to mist him too close to night time. Perhaps the environment is TOO damp? I use only Repashy products (Bug Burger, Superload, & Calcium Plus for dusting). A more experienced member will jump in here and give better advice. Let us know what transpires. Take care.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Chameleon Forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I have a few suggestions about your husbandry that probably have nothing to do with the issues your are having. I'd recommend a vet checkup and a fecal for the issues.

I think you are giving way too much d3 especially if he's getting outside time. I'd never recommend d3 more than twice a month even when they are inside all the time. I think it's time for a big boy cage at least 48 inches high. I don't care for the Flukers cricket diet and highly recommend Cricket Crack to go along with the fresh veggies. I'd also recommend raising his basking temps to the mid 80's and if he has an RI the vet will even want the baskIng spot hotter.

I'm attaching my blog for new keepers below. Keep us posted on how he's doing.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Follow Up

Took him to the vet today and got on some antibiotics. They said we caught it early which is good and other than the respiratory problems got a clean bill of health. Should be all cleared up in less than a month.

I do plan on changing my supplementation and gut loading methods in the very near future as per yalls advice and the vet. Also upgrading to a 2x2x4' enclosure after I move later this month.

THANK YOU guys so much, you were a huge help.

Took him to the vet today and got on some antibiotics. They said we caught it early which is good and other than the respiratory problems got a clean bill of health. Should be all cleared up in less than a month.

I do plan on changing my supplementation and gut loading methods in the very near future as per yalls advice and the vet. Also upgrading to a 2x2x4' enclosure after I move later this month.

THANK YOU guys so much, you were a huge help.

We are all so glad that things are looking up for you and your chamy. We love to be able to help each other along the way. How about some pics when you get his new home? :p

Okay so I may just be overreacting but I feel like Chronic has done nothing but get worse despite starting antibiotic treatment for his RI... do they usually get worse before they get better? :/ He hasn't eaten anything today (I even tried to hand feed him), his stool was very runny, the mucus seems to have increased, and when I took him out tonight to give him his medicine, he just clung to my finger like this- I know they do this to drain fluid but he has been doing it the whole time he has been out.
sAeOZtY.jpg

Occasionally he opens his eyes and extends his gular but then goes back to resting. He has been sitting like this for about 30 minutes and even though I tried to gently tap his rear to urge him into his cage, he just stayed on my hand. I know he doesn't feel good but he ALWAYS jumps at the opportunity to go back in his cage. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Okay so I may just be overreacting but I feel like Chronic has done nothing but get worse despite starting antibiotic treatment for his RI... do they usually get worse before they get better? :/ He hasn't eaten anything today (I even tried to hand feed him), his stool was very runny, the mucus seems to have increased, and when I took him out tonight to give him his medicine, he just clung to my finger like this- I know they do this to drain fluid but he has been doing it the whole time he has been out.
sAeOZtY.jpg

Occasionally he opens his eyes and extends his gular but then goes back to resting. He has been sitting like this for about 30 minutes and even though I tried to gently tap his rear to urge him into his cage, he just stayed on my hand. I know he doesn't feel good but he ALWAYS jumps at the opportunity to go back in his cage. Any advice would be much appreciated!

he does look a little dehydrated,his eyes are sunken in..sorry,im not that experienced enough to b able to help more, but you could put him in the shower,have water hit the wall,not directly on him,see if it will get him to drink more..

From experience of antibiotics my girls poo got a little funny and she hated it she knew the syringe and when she saw me with it outside the cage she'd hide very quickly and lock her jaw and not open it.

Back
Top Bottom