Worried about my female cham.

reptiledan4

I have a 8 month to a year old female veiled chameleon, who has been doing great, but as of late she has been digging at the bottom, and spending a lot of time down there. Have looked for eggs, but none found.Temp is good about 70-80, humidity is about 50-70, eats great.

Do you have a proper place for her to dig in to lay her eggs? She should have an opaque container of moist washed playsand at least 12 " deep by 12 " by 8 ". The sand should be moist enough to hold a tunnel. It's important to have a proper place asap so she won't become eggbound.

Her basking temperature should be in the low to mid 80'sF.

What supplements specifically are you using and how often for each? What specifically do you feed /gutload the insects with?

Eco earth for the substrate and I feed my crickets orange cricket food and fish flakes, and I dust the crickets with calcium and vit. supplements

Just found her underneath a plastic container lying on her side. I picked her up and she started crawling around. Now I'm very worried.

'

Here she is, and I now have sand in the cage with her
cham1.jpg
cham2.jpg

Well, after putting the sand in there, she dug for about 6-8 hours then she laid 25 eggs, and is doing much better now. Thank you Kinyonga for your advice.

You should get a better gutload regime. Fish flakes are full of animal protein and by-products. They also have unnatural additives that are bad for your insects, the flukers orange cubes pretty much just add moisture, they aren't good for anything else. There are tons of better gutloads out there, it just depends on whether you are willing to buy them.

You're welcome.

You said you use calcium and vitamins....but what brands?
Re: feeding / gutloading the insects properly....for crickets, locusts, superworms, roaches...you can use greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, etc.

Back
Top Bottom