Worried about MBD

kelseyh

I've had my veiled chameleon Krishna since November 2017. I got him as a baby from FL Chams. Recently, I noticed his limbs look a little less than straight and I'm worried about MBD or any other health issues such as gout. I gutload his crickets with orange cubes and sometimes lettuce and grapes and dust them with calcium with d3 once a month, reptivite with d3 once a month, and calcium without d3 every week to 2 weeks. I get about 4 dozen large crickets once a week from the pet store and feed them to him throughout the week. He also gets mealworms, superworms, fresh mango, grapes, and dandelions every so often, and whatever else occasionally. (I tried dubias once, he never ate them) His poop/urate has always looked great, he's active throughout the day, and he eats like a monster. I don't free range him or handle him often as I know he would prefer if I didn't and I want to respect his space. Also, he has the standard 2 bulb zoo med light fixture with uva and uvb.

He means the world to me and I want to take care of him like he deserves. Attached is the picture I took of him today and one from about a month ago when he seemed to be looking better.

20180521_165023.jpg

20180315_112742.jpg

His limbs look ok to me but I would definitely up the calcium without d3 to every feeding or close to it. That is the protocol most of us follow along with a multi vitamin 2 times a month and the calcium with d3 twice monthly also. Make sure to change out uvb bulbs about every 6 months. That coupled with the calcium,should protect your chameleon from mbd. Getting natural sunshine is great for their health also. If you post a couple more recent pictures would be good. Just realizing the second one was from a month ago

Last edited:
His limbs look ok to me but I would definitely up the calcium without d3 to every feeding or close to it. That is the protocol most of us follow along with a multi vitamin 2 times a month and the calcium with d3 twice monthly also. Maje sure to change out uvb bulbs about every 6 months. That coupled with the calcium,should protect your chameleon from mbd. Getting natural sunshine is great for their health also. If you post a couple more recent pictures woukd be good. Just realizing the second one was from a month ago

I've changed out his bulbs recently, and I will definitely up the supplements. Here's a picture from just now
20180521_195111.jpg

Back
Top Bottom