Worms

Veiledcham920

I’m trying to mix worms into my chameleons diet. He is a male 1 1/2 year old veiled. They have been very hard for me to find. I finally found a reptile store that had horned worms. We got them two days ago and stored them n the refrigerator. I went to give him one today and they all seem to have died. ?
My questions are...
-What are the best varieties?
-Where are the best places to find them? I live in metro Detroit area and the place closest to me just has meal worms(not sure if those are a good option? I thought I heard they are not good for chams)
-Where is a good place to store them?
-Do they need to be gut loaded?
-Best sized worms? These horned worms are huge, is that safe??

1. Hornworms should be stored at room temp. Or kept in the fridge for no more than a few hours to help slow down growth.
2. Some great worm options would be silkworms and black solider fly larvae. Waxworms, hornworms, and superworms are all considered treat bugs due to their lower nutritional value.
3. Check out the site sponsor's for places to buy bugs:https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/ Most of us buy them online. I have a 10% off your first order link for dubiaroaches.com which sells worms: http://i.refs.cc/2et4o8yY?smile_ref...hbSIsInNtaWxlX2N1c3RvbWVyX2lkIjo1MjM4MTUzMzZ9
4. Bugs should be kept at room temperature.
5. All bugs should be gutloaded as best as you can. Some bugs/worms are harder to gutload than others.
6. The general rule of thumb for size is that they should not be wider than the width between their eyes. A 1.5 year old male should be able to take down a hornworm no problem.

Here are some helpful videos:

I’m trying to mix worms into my chameleons diet. He is a male 1 1/2 year old veiled. They have been very hard for me to find. I finally found a reptile store that had horned worms. We got them two days ago and stored them n the refrigerator. I went to give him one today and they all seem to have died. ?
My questions are...
-What are the best varieties?
-Where are the best places to find them? I live in metro Detroit area and the place closest to me just has meal worms(not sure if those are a good option? I thought I heard they are not good for chams)
-Where is a good place to store them?
-Do they need to be gut loaded?
-Best sized worms? These horned worms are huge, is that safe??
Here’s a good website Grubterra.com

If you don't want to keep them out at room temp, you can put hornworms in a wine fridge to slow their growth, as well. Some other larvae varieties are blue bottle and green bottle fly spikes. Also, waxworms pupated into moths, along with the black soldier flies, blue bottle flies, green bottle flies, and silkworm and hornworm moths (if your cham is big enough for the last two), are all great feeders, too!

Back
Top Bottom