Worm amounts for 6 month Panter, Need advise!!!

Dawniegirl

Basically I would love to know the amounts of each kind/size worms you fed or may have fed your cham at 6 months of age. I have a panter Cham, Diego, going on 6 months of age & was wondering how many each kind / size of worms to feed him? I am gonig on Vac & having a caretaker taking care of him. I need to advise them of how many to fed Diego but I don't know myself & since I will be getting the worms on the day before I'm leaving I won't be able to figure it out. TIA...

I've order some more worms, for my going on 6 months old Panter Cham Diego, the small size silkies is 4-6 good for a feeding or more/ less???
Also ordered butterworms 12 count but there wasn't a size there to choose from (I know these ones have to be refrigerated ), but how many of these do you feed? Also are these a good staple or treat???
Ordered Repiworms Medium size, how many of these would he need to be fed? Are these a staple???
Also getting a sample of mini superworms. How many of these would you feed?

Also the first batch I ordered of Silkies were VERY large (mostly all about 2" w/ some smaller in there too. What should I do w/ these? They said the will turn into non- flying moths & I could feed him them. Have you ever fed your cham those?

Any other info you have would be kindly appreciated. I am very new at doing worms & don't know very much. I'm going to have his caretaker also give his crickets too dusted in the sticky tongue Miner-Al as well as the worms. Diego will be going on 6 months old & is about 6 inches long. My baby will be in the hands of another for about a week so I wanna have it down for them, Thanks again!!!!!:)

As long as your cham likes crickets and will eat those, I would feed the regular amount of those and offer a few worms on top of that a day. Or cut back on a few crickets and add the worms. Don't get too crazy with the worms. Try using them more as treats for now because you may find your chameleon getting very partial to worms over the crickets. This is just my suggestion.

As far as the silkworms. Did you order large or something? I would order small for a 6 month old. They will not spin cocoons until about 5 weeks old and it takes another two weeks or so for them to turn into moths. Yes, you can feed them to your chameleon! I have only had ONE silkworm cocoon on me. If you think there are ones that are too big to feed to your cham, well you are going to have to continue to feed them and see if you can get them to cocoon.

I agree but was trying to make it easy on his caretaker & my house less cricket free from the ones that might escape from them ;). Plus Less trouble of cleaning the crickets container/ gut loading of the crickets, etc for them to worry about doing. I was gonna buy the "crickets to go" from Petsmart that are in a container already w/ food & water, then all they have to do it shake some into a cup, count & sprinkle w/ sticky tongue on a few of those days. I normally keep his crickets in a fish tank & feed them cricket food from timberline along w/ fruit/ veggies & that gel stuff for water. Then clean the tank every other day. So I was gonna get the a cricket to go cup & try to have less hassle for them, plus I bought all those worms for them to use as well. I just have no idea how many to advised them to give to Diego. We are going to be away for an entire week. Do you think one week of worms, maybe 4 of those 7 days, would be bad/ spoil him? Thanks Again!!!

As long as your cham likes crickets and will eat those, I would feed the regular amount of those and offer a few worms on top of that a day. Or cut back on a few crickets and add the worms. Don't get too crazy with the worms. Try using them more as treats for now because you may find your chameleon getting very partial to worms over the crickets. This is just my suggestion.

you never know, but you after a week of worms he may not want to eat the crickets!. I remember my breeder telling me to use the worms as "treats". I mean alls you can do is try and hope when you come back he will still want to eat crickets. I know you are trying to make things as easy as possible for the caretaker and I understand that. I would just try to comensate then with a variety of worms to make up for the amount of crickets you usually feed.

I originally ordered the small/ med in a cup but I think they may have mistakenly sent me the wrong cup. I put a note on my order asking if they could send them on the smaller size silkies for a 5 month old cham, as suggested on the site, but I think the note was overlooked & the wrong cup was sent. They are sending me out a replacement & to be on the safe side I asked it they could send the "small" silkie cup instead of the "small/ med" cup. I love the company though, great customer service... easy to straighten out. These things happen. It was kinda funny though... me trying to go through the silk web to get a smaller ones! I was kinda put off from Silks for a minute, made me feel like I was going through spider webs :eek:

As far as the silkworms. Did you order large or something? I would order small for a 6 month old. They will not spin cocoons until about 5 weeks old and it takes another two weeks or so for them to turn into moths. Yes, you can feed them to your chameleon! I have only had ONE silkworm cocoon on me. If you think there are ones that are too big to feed to your cham, well you are going to have to continue to feed them and see if you can get them to cocoon.

P.S. you are not going to be able to leave a bunch of silkworms go for a week without cleaning out their container. They poop a WHOLE lot and it is important to keep their environment clean just like the crickets.

Lol :), so true. Do you have any suggestions of worm amounts for each kind I ordered?

you never know, but you after a week of worms he may not want to eat the crickets!. I remember my breeder telling me to use the worms as "treats". I mean alls you can do is try and hope when you come back he will still want to eat crickets. I know you are trying to make things as easy as possible for the caretaker and I understand that. I would just try to comensate then with a variety of worms to make up for the amount of crickets you usually feed.

:eek: Well that wasn't a good choice then :(

P.S. you are not going to be able to leave a bunch of silkworms go for a week without cleaning out their container. They poop a WHOLE lot and it is important to keep their environment clean just like the crickets.

Ps I just read about gut loading superworms on another post! What about the reptiworms? Ohhh boy I need to start research on the worm foods ASAP!!! I could be wrong but I think the butterworms don't needs anything, the Silkies are coming w/ food in cup so that should leave me the Reptiworms & superworms to figure out. :confused:

Yes you have to gutload the supers. and that food needs to get changed out too cause it will rot within a day or two. You could get away with not feeding them for a week and they will eat the stuff they are packaged in. It wouldn't hurt for one week not to gutload them so that would make it easy on your sitter. Even though the silkies are coming in the cup...the cups are messy. They make it sound so easy but they come with this little trellis thing and they make this net that gets attached to the trellis and all the poop gets caught up in it. It is supposed to fall to the bottom but alot of it gets caught in the "net". yuk! I have never fed reptiworms or butterworms but I think I have read that the reptiworms don't need to be gutloaded. Just check where you bought them from. As far as the amounts of worms, if you are feeding 12 crickets and the worms are relatively small then I would make up a combo of the worms to equal the crickets I guess. I would feed more silks than any of the other worms. They are somewhat close to crickets in nutritional value.

Thanks Carol :D

Yes you have to gutload the supers. and that food needs to get changed out too cause it will rot within a day or two. You could get away with not feeding them for a week and they will eat the stuff they are packaged in. It wouldn't hurt for one week not to gutload them so that would make it easy on your sitter. Even though the silkies are coming in the cup...the cups are messy. They make it sound so easy but they come with this little trellis thing and they make this net that gets attached to the trellis and all the poop gets caught up in it. It is supposed to fall to the bottom but alot of it gets caught in the "net". yuk! I have never fed reptiworms or butterworms but I think I have read that the reptiworms don't need to be gutloaded. Just check where you bought them from. As far as the amounts of worms, if you are feeding 12 crickets and the worms are relatively small then I would make up a combo of the worms to equal the crickets I guess. I would feed more silks than any of the other worms. They are somewhat close to crickets in nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom