Working on handling and taming

captain

Hello! My little guy is about 6 months old and we are practicing handling and taming. I mostly do this buy offering him hand fed worms. It use to take him about an hour to come down and eat the worms from my hand. Lately He will do it in about five minutes (YAY)! I have been offering one in the palm of my hand and one longer down my arm where he needs to crawl completely onto me to reach it. I was wondering if I should start to move my hand away from his cage when he is on me? What are some next steps to take to help him tolerate the handling? I only hand feed these worms maybe twice or once a week? Is that good too? Any tips are great:)

Hello! When you asked about moving your hand away from the enclosure. Personally, if the Chameleon is being trained to trust you, then I would sit down in a chair and be still with it. Don't be active and moving around because that might scare the chamelon.

Also? What worms are you feeding?

OMG you have not found the blogs yet???? Check this out https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/

Hugh Jackman Reaction GIF

Omg, thank you!! How did I not run across these yet?? 🤣🤣🤣

Hello! When you asked about moving your hand away from the enclosure. Personally, if the Chameleon is being trained to trust you, then I would sit down in a chair and be still with it. Don't be active and moving around because that might scare the chamelon.

Also? What worms are you feeding?
Okay so just keep my hand still and hopes he climbs more on me? Right now he eats and then might stay for a few seconds then crawls back into the cage and I just keep my hand right by the cage where he originally climbed onto.

I only ever move my hand away from it when i need to take him out to clean his cage (i move him to a separate plant to wait on while i clean it).

So far I have used horn worms and I want to try wax worms. I break up times in between with dubia roaches out of a feeder bowl that i hold in my hand.

Okay so just keep my hand still and hopes he climbs more on me? Right now he eats and then might stay for a few seconds then crawls back into the cage and I just keep my hand right by the cage where he originally climbed onto.

I only ever move my hand away from it when i need to take him out to clean his cage (i move him to a separate plant to wait on while i clean it).

So far I have used horn worms and I want to try wax worms. I break up times in between with dubia roaches out of a feeder bowl that i hold in my hand.
Keeping your hand still is good. Slow movements even. Once he has been held for a bit I would put him back in his enclosure and leave him. You don't want him to be handled too much. I apologise if I read your post wrong.

For food, Black soldier fly larvae are great feeders also! Wax works can be fed but are more as a treat bug. Superworms bite so I would be careful, but they can still be fed. In moderation though. 🙂

Keeping your hand still is good. Slow movements even. Once he has been held for a bit I would put him back in his enclosure and leave him. You don't want him to be handled too much. I apologise if I read your post wrong.

For food, Black soldier fly larvae are great feeders also! Wax works can be fed but are more as a treat bug. Superworms bite so I would be careful, but they can still be fed. In moderation though. 🙂
No need to apologize you are helping me out! and thank you I will look into getting those to feed as well:)

No need to apologize you are helping me out! and thank you I will look into getting those to feed as well:)
Of course! I would only handle him once a day and the rest of the day leave him in his enclosure. 😃

A great place to get BSFL is dubia roaches.com

Can I see a picture of your chameleon out of curiosity lol
of course! I just don’t have a lot of pictures lol because he hates my phone. here is when i took him outside yesterday for some sunlight but he is still unsure about me so he wasnt out for very long lol and i took a screen shot of an action shot of him eating lol

Attachments

• 366A9116-F68C-4634-93C8-EC27EC8B4EDD.jpeg
    366A9116-F68C-4634-93C8-EC27EC8B4EDD.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 9EF2B9D7-C7D4-4AAC-AF95-BAC8A92DB188.png
    9EF2B9D7-C7D4-4AAC-AF95-BAC8A92DB188.png
    572.1 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom