Word of warning bbf blue bottle fly larva

Franquixote

Established Member
My panther would not touch either larva or adult. Only 3-4 escaped his enclosure.

Fast forward 2 months and my wife notices maggots dropping (of all places of course) on top of the dryer.
I noticed a dead adult on a nearby counter.

It made its way into the ceiling and utilized rodent droppings to lay eggs. I'd guess every dwelling from Alaska to Key West has a few mouse turds in the walls or between floors.

I know they were blue bottle flies because I let a few turn into flies.

Disgusting. I suppose they did us a favor by disposing of a bit of rodent droppings but I can't imagine if a dozen or a hundred got loose in the house and we were dealing with maggots dropping from the ceiling regularly.

My panther is either mentally challenged or has bad eyesight because he often misses even stationary large targets like crickets and roaches, but he showed zero interest in any flies.

Just a heads up, start small if you want to try these out and keep track of each fly you put in your enclosure if possible!

O.K., my wife can NOT read this :eek:!!! I just got Black Soldier Fly Larva as well as Blue Bottle Fly Spikes, and she wasn't happy about it. My chameleon, however, is VERY happy :D!

To further expand on this topic, I recently had a friend offer some BSFL that he was breeding for his geckos. You can’t turn that down, so a few days later at work, he hands me a pickle jar...full of HUNDREDS of BSFL climbing up the glass. I knew it was a lot, but I figured, how could it hurt anything. My enclosure has a fairly large footprint, and has a large, thriving bioactive soil base, so I dumped them in, all of them. Well, a few weeks later, they started to hatch. First couple days, the flies numbered in the teens, and my chameleon continuously ate them. After a few more days, population explosion! One night I counted 96 flies, just on the glass! Dozens more in the leaves. So basically, I haven’t opened the doors to my enclosure in over a month, thank god it’s completely automated, and my bioactive soil keeps everything clean. The numbers have dwindled to a couple flies here and there, and my chameleon is fat and happy. Hearing that you had some escape makes me realize how lucky I was not to have that happen too. I guess there really is too much of a good thing?

lol I've got some soldier flies around the house now. They seem to have gathered in the bathroom. I woke up a couple of days ago with a superworm beetle crawling on me. The price we pay for our lizards!

It’s crazy what those little bastards can climb, keeping them contained can be a challenge! If there is any tiny crack they can and will get through it.

My panther would not touch either larva or adult. Only 3-4 escaped his enclosure.

Fast forward 2 months and my wife notices maggots dropping (of all places of course) on top of the dryer.
I noticed a dead adult on a nearby counter.

It made its way into the ceiling and utilized rodent droppings to lay eggs. I'd guess every dwelling from Alaska to Key West has a few mouse turds in the walls or between floors.

I know they were blue bottle flies because I let a few turn into flies.

Disgusting. I suppose they did us a favor by disposing of a bit of rodent droppings but I can't imagine if a dozen or a hundred got loose in the house and we were dealing with maggots dropping from the ceiling regularly.

My panther is either mentally challenged or has bad eyesight because he often misses even stationary large targets like crickets and roaches, but he showed zero interest in any flies.

Just a heads up, start small if you want to try these out and keep track of each fly you put in your enclosure if possible!

Try to "wash" you larva if you offering to your chameleon! they like the work but not the taste of the rotting food around the larva (i notice this because i feed my baby with sometime, they like the washed larva, they spit the unwashed one and they arode the fly) :p

lol I've got some soldier flies around the house now. They seem to have gathered in the bathroom. I woke up a couple of days ago with a superworm beetle crawling on me. The price we pay for our lizards!

Tip : they are really attracted by light (uvb ++) and they are really really slow, so install a uvb in an empty cage (if you got one) wait and close the door when they are gonna be inside ;)

Back
Top Bottom