Blue bottle flies dust themselves in their food

Ceycham

Established Member
So I've been feeding my guy blue bottle fly larvae and BSF larvae along with his crickets this past month, but having bought a cup of 250 of each there plenty that got around to pupating and now Norman's been enjoying a daily treat of 3-8 adult flies (so kind of them to emerge a few at a time rather than all at once!). I haven't dusted the flies because frankly its a job just getting them into his cage without the extra step of moving them in to a dusting container, so I figured, at least for the BBF I would purchase some fly food for them to gut load on from Mantisplace. They offer these nifty lidded deli cups that have 3 trays inside...one for the pupae, one for a water soaked sponge, and one to add food to. So about 5 flies a day are emerging, and then they head over to the food and water. I'm enjoying the spectacle because the newborn flies are pretty clumsy and awkward, and they tend to overturn themselves in the food powder tray and literally dust themselves in it. the lid has a hole that comes with a plug, so I've stuck the whole shebang into the bottom of Norman's cage and then removed the plug. Bam, he's got self dusting meals that wander out periodically.

Back
Top Bottom