WOOHOOO i'm so happy!!!

KatCham

Established Member
Well its been 18 days, but finally.......feeding cup success!!!

Put all locusts in Simba's cup this morning, then left him to it. 10mins later walked back in to find him sitting on the branch right beside his cup eating his locusts out of it!!! :D:D:D

I'm so happy!!! He got there in the end!!! :)

That's brilliant - but those locusts can crawl up pretty much anything! How many did you put in there for him? Make sure that he did actually eat them all. It's not a good idea to leave feeders free roaming - even locusts bite and both they and crix will bite Simba if they are hungry enough.

Nibbles and Bites

It's not a good idea to leave feeders free roaming - even locusts bite and both they and crix will bite Simba if they are hungry enough.

If food is placed for the locusts (or crickets) in the Chameleon enclosure then the fear of biting or nibbling on the chameleon is eliminated.

Digby Rigby

Bulk dubia & other roaches. Include phone number in reply [email protected]

If food is placed for the locusts (or crickets) in the Chameleon enclosure then the fear of biting or nibbling on the chameleon is eliminated.

Digby Rigby

Bulk dubia & other roaches. Include phone number in reply [email protected]

That is a good idea. I read in another post a while back that someone had ants get into the enclosure and if there had not been leftover feeders to eat they would have gone for the cham. Same idea, different scenario. Maybe leave a piece of carrot or something.

I only had 6 small locusts in there Sat morning as was the 1st time I'd tried them, and 6 this morning. 4 wax worms yesterday but he only ate 1 out of the forceps and left the others. Not sure if he just wasn't interested or if he was full from Sat???

Is 6 small locusts enough or should he be getting more?

He's also been getting about 30-50 fruit flies, or 6 small morios, which I've now discovered are meal worms so have stopped feeding them. Wax worms I've said, but he only eats 1 or 2. I've got a bean weevil culture but beetles still to hatch. Trying to vary his diet as much as possible, it's just knowing how much of what to feed him.

He's too small to feed super worms, butterworms...and ran away from the silks I tried. So thinking of leaving those til he's a bit bigger.

The locusts seem to stay in the feeder cup when I put them in, then Simba climbs down and eats them out of the bowl. If a couple do crawl out, they get as far as the main vine, then he hunts them down....he seems to prefer feeders with legs!! LOL

They were gone when I sprayed and checked at lunch time. NO sign of them anywhere...looked all over the cage and branches. If I did see any I'd take them out when I spray and check him at 5pm, for the night.

He's younger than I thought....recently got hatch dates from breeder. Simba hatched 4th Dec 2010, so he is only just over 3mo now, where I thought he was getting on for 4months.

If anyone can provide a list of how many of what feeders to give, that would be a help, or is it a case of all chams are different so just feed what they'll eat in a couple of hours/1 day???

Don't want to underfeed as well as overfeed :confused:

Congrats with your success, can I send you my insubordinate animals. Maybe you'll have more luck with them them I did. :D. Will not cup feed although I have really tried super hard yet:D

Have just discovered I can get small butterworms, and I had forgotten about the calci worms too.

Reckon I'll get some of those, see if he likes them.

Fruit flies, I know he loves, so they'll be on my next order. Wonder what he'll think of the bean weevils when they're big enough to feed??

At least he's getting a varied diet, I just want to know I'm feeding him enough.

Where do you guys purchase locusts from? I have tried looking online but can't find any... Please do let me know...

Back
Top Bottom