Wooden Vivarium what to put on the bottom

Joshy444

In my viv I have put humus brick on the bottom as the guy at the store said it's very good as it absorbs all the water but since it's been in there it's like mud and its always wet, I mist her 3 times a day. In the morning a 1-2 min mist then not such a big mist for the next two through out the whole day. See I think that it isn't getting a lot of heat for it to actually dry out, what would you suggest? if anyone can help I would really appreciate it as I've been searching everywhere

Attachments

• 15467174422077352297967104897938.jpg
    15467174422077352297967104897938.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 111
You should take that out. Most have nothing at all on the bottom. Some have paper towels or newspaper, and switch it out daily. Some have a bioactive setup, you can do the research on that. I have a plastic bottom with a drain, easy to clean and dries out between mistings.

You should set up a drainage layer if you are using a substrate instead of a bare bottom. Plastic egg crate works super well for drainage. Just put this on the bottom and then some carbon fiber window screen mesh on top of it and then just add your substrate. That way all of the water will drain through the soil and not make it muddy.
egg crate.jpg

That is used in some bioactive viv's, but there is more to it though. Standing water under the substrate will breed germs.

You should take that out. Most have nothing at all on the bottom. Some have paper towels or newspaper, and switch it out daily. Some have a bioactive setup, you can do the research on that. I have a plastic bottom with a drain, easy to clean and dries out between mistings.
Yh I think I'm going to use news paper as it will be a lot easier

You should set up a drainage layer if you are using a substrate instead of a bare bottom. Plastic egg crate works super well for drainage. Just put this on the bottom and then some carbon fiber window screen mesh on top of it and then just add your substrate. That way all of the water will drain through the soil and not make it muddy.
View attachment 220612
But the water will still be there

Back
Top Bottom