Wood bark substrate?

lthrbecks

Established Member
I'll be upgrading my viv very soon. I'm currently using peat moss with live plants. It's actually a bio active set up.

I'm just wondering if wood bark chips would work, along with potted plants instead?

Also, will I need a new longer T5 light, bigger heat mat and lamp too? I need to plan ahead to have everything in place.

Many thanks for any help you can give me on the above matter.

im amazed you got stuff to grow in peat. Most plants think its too acidic. Bark will make it even more acidic.

You should have a full length UVB T5HO. Then its up to you to go fullspectrum led grow lights, or another full length 6500k T5HO.

I'm not planting them, they'll be in pots sitting in the bark.

I don't know what you mean about full spectrum lighting?

Will the 100w basking lamp suffice?Perhaps a heat mat isn't necessary.

I'm not planting them, they'll be in pots sitting in the bark.

I don't know what you mean about full spectrum lighting?

Will the 100w basking lamp suffice?Perhaps a heat mat isn't necessary.
Def want to make sure if your using a heat mat its not to hot. Your cham needs a cool place to retreat to. If you dont mind my asking why do you use one? As long as your chams enclosure doesn't get below around 60 at night you should be good. There are better methods for humidty problems also. But not sure why you use the heat mat

The pet shop owner supplied everything in a set up. It's only background heat on a thermostat control. My frogs have one as well. It might be too cool without it. It's in around 22 to 27 degrees everyday

Full-spectrum light is light that covers the electromagnetic spectrum from infrared to near-ultraviolet, or all wavelengths that are useful to plant or animal life; in particular, sunlight is considered full spectrum.

I only use the heat lamp. No substrate and i have lots of plants. I haven't had any problems with heat nor humidity. I also live in florida so depending where you live and the humidity and the temps were you have your cham are ideal you should be good without it. And as kinyonga said the bark can ded lead to impaction.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK not the hottest country in the world. I'll go with the heat lamp and no substrate idea. Just potted plants and vibes then? I rarely use my basking heat lamp as the temp is always mid 20s Celsius. I'm assuming the mat helps though.

Back
Top Bottom