Wondering if lightning is wrong

Chad10672

Not sure what to do he still rubbing his eye,closes is sometimes it's like he can't see out of it just wondering if the lighting is wrong. We have a reptisun 10.0 Uvb and a repti basking spot lamp 75w?

16326A0D-8344-4566-BE7D-C7240529CE99.jpeg

Photo of the cage and lighting on the cage helps. I only recommend 10.0 or 12% UVB in heavily planted enclosures where you need the extra UVB penetration.

It may not be a lighting issue at all. Do you mist regularly? And what kind of water are you misting with? Also eye drops can be prescribed. I’ve never used eye drops so I can’t advise on much other than the vet can give him some.
Also, what supplements are you dusting your feeders with? I made a mistake a long time ago by dusting calcium with vitamin D3 every feeding. It caused her eye problems in return.

As far as your lighting I can honestly say if there is a problem it would be because the UVB has lost its life and needs to be replaced. Your setup doesn’t have 100% UVB coverage anyway. When was the last time you replaced it? For yours it should be replaced every 6 months

Here's the cage
Hi there yes your lighting needs to be upgraded. To a T5 or T8 fixture with a linear UVB bulb. You do not have much foliage for the Cham to retreat into so I would not do anything higher then a 5.o or 6% arcadia brand. The compact UVB light is insufficient and will not produce a large enough area of UVB light for your Cham. Here is a video that shows it in more detail.
Also you have to take into consideration that the screen top will reduce the uvb ray by about 30%.

It may not be a lighting issue at all. Do you mist regularly? And what kind of water are you misting with? Also eye drops can be prescribed. I’ve never used eye drops so I can’t advise on much other than the vet can give him some.
Also, what supplements are you dusting your feeders with? I made a mistake a long time ago by dusting calcium with vitamin D3 every feeding. It caused her eye problems in return.

As far as your lighting I can honestly say if there is a problem it would be because the UVB has lost its life and needs to be replaced. Your setup doesn’t have 100% UVB coverage anyway. When was the last time you replaced it? For yours it should be replaced every 6 months
I try to mist 4 to 5 times in the evening after work ,I dust the feeders with calcium and another it's called reptivite,when we get them we feed them a high calcium food and apples then after the second day I don't dust them

I try to mist 4 to 5 times in the evening after work ,I dust the feeders with calcium and another it's called reptivite,when we get them we feed them a high calcium food and apples then after the second day I don't dust them
Ok so you have to be sure to pay attention to what is what. To be clear dusting with calcium without D3 every time. Dust with calcium with D3 twice a month. You should also supplement with vitamins at that time. Regardless of what you gutload your feeders with you should stay on that schedule.

About the lighting. When did you change out the reptisun 10.0 last?

Ok so you have to be sure to pay attention to what is what. To be clear dusting with calcium without D3 every time. Dust with calcium with D3 twice a month. You should also supplement with vitamins at that time. Regardless of what you gutload your feeders with you should stay on that schedule.

About the lighting. When did you change out the reptisun 10.0 last?
They are using a 10.0 compact bulb instead of a T5 or T8 linear tube. They need to upgrade their lighting.

That enclosure needs some big internal improvements, in addition to a lighting upgrade. It is way too barebone for a chameleon to live comfortably. Add live plants and a bunch more horizontal branches/walkways

That enclosure needs some big internal improvements, in addition to a lighting upgrade. It is way too barebone for a chameleon to live comfortably. Add live plants and a bunch more horizontal branches/walkways
The bulb he’s got now needs to be replaced every 6 months though

Back
Top Bottom