Won’t hunt super spoiled? Or some thing wrong

Mcdonald.erica

My guy is about 2 and he has made a change in the way he eats. He is not a good hunter any more. He will eat a cricket if it goes by his face, and he will only eat worms if I hold the bowl right next to his head. His cage is beautiful and all of the right temps and humidity. He gets his vitamins once a week, has a mister, and a dripper for water. He is well taken care of and shows no signs of being sick or injury. He just won’t go lower into his habitat to find food, and will only eat if I have a bowl inches from his face. His strike is slower and he misses when it’s right in front of him. I am pretty positive it’s not his eyes because he looks at me from a crossed the room. PLEASE HELP.

Welcome to the forum!

What species? What supplements do you use...be specific. When did you change the UVB bulb last? What specific UVB light do you use? Can you please post some photos of the bulb and your chameleon so I can see all of him from the side.
So he sound like he's having trouble shooting his tongue out?

I am really super grateful for this forum. He is a veiled translucent chameleon. I do both of these vitamins and shake his food in it once a week. Here are pics of him, the bulb for uvb and the vitamins. He will shoot out his tongue but he is really slow and it takes a bit of time of it hanging out before he shoots it and he won’t shoot it far. He won’t eat crickets unless they are close to his head and he won’t eat worms unless I put them in a bowl right next to his head.

Attachments

• DF2938C6-3838-4566-A951-4D450E290986.jpeg
    DF2938C6-3838-4566-A951-4D450E290986.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 53
  • F6A756C3-567D-4575-A090-07DEA307DAB9.jpeg
    F6A756C3-567D-4575-A090-07DEA307DAB9.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 8811E7AE-387A-4A7A-AF5E-519ED4B49273.jpeg
    8811E7AE-387A-4A7A-AF5E-519ED4B49273.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 1FDE0981-5C72-4B52-9C69-00EF983BC69D.jpeg
    1FDE0981-5C72-4B52-9C69-00EF983BC69D.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 6E3982FB-BAC2-4A8F-8EA8-A5385AC29115.jpeg
    6E3982FB-BAC2-4A8F-8EA8-A5385AC29115.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 63
definitely has mbd and a little obese also that multivitamin doesn’t have any preformed vitamin a and it’s hard to tell what kind of uvb that is from a picture do you know the brand and type of bulb? The not moving and hunting is probably due to him not being able to move due to the deformed bones definite cause for a vet visit

Beautiful colors and patterns!

Could be MBD causing the issue...supplement imbalance.
Right arm looks a bit bumpy.

MBD not only makes the bones weak but the muscles too...so the chameleon won't be able to use the tongue effectively. It affects the digestion too.

It's recommended that you dust the insects at all feeding but one a week with a phos free calcium powder lightly. On that feeding...every second week you can use Reptivite vitamins with D3 and prEformed vitamin A.

What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

When did you last replace the UVB light?

A vet can check to make sure it's MBD and give you some liquid calcium to help strengthen the bones...along with proper husbandry. Once the bones are strong again and the husbandry is correct, the liquid calcium can be discontinued.

Last edited:
I just spoke with the owner of reptopia and sent her his pic she said that he looks good. I am going to replace the bulb I didn’t know that they could not have uvb but still burn. Also I don’t know anything about gut loaded insects? I just feed him crickets and super worms which is why he probably looks obese. What is a good feeding regiment with vitamin do you think?

I just spoke with the owner of reptopia and sent her his pic she said that he looks good. I am going to replace the bulb I didn’t know that they could not have uvb but still burn. Also I don’t know anything about gut loaded insects? I just feed him crickets and super worms which is why he probably looks obese. What is a good feeding regiment with vitamin do you think?
In terms of supplements I don’t have a veiled but I’m currently fixing an issue I’ve had it’s recommended to feed your insects fresh veggies like collard greens mustard greens etc, carrots sweet potatoes all that good stuff roaches and soldier flies are also very good

Attachments

• DD7DC983-016F-43DF-AB12-A25ED98D045A.jpeg
    DD7DC983-016F-43DF-AB12-A25ED98D045A.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 42
I gutload with dandelion greens, collards, kale, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, endive, escarole, etc and a bit of fruit such as berries, pear, apple.

I told you one way to use the supplements...although I just realized I left out part of the instructions...so it's fixed now. That one works although there are others that work too.

Back
Top Bottom