Won’t eat the dubias

aduesler93

Hello!
I have an approx. 4 month old veiled girl who seems to not be a fan of Dubia roaches. I’ve had her about a month and a half and have been feeding crickets and the occasional wax worms. She generally eats between 5-10 crickets a day and is slowing down on numbers as she gets older. I was finally able to get my hands on small Dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae and she loves the larvae but wants nothing to do with roaches. After trying a couple times I gave in and gave her more crickets and she ate them right up. Is there a trick to make the roaches more tempting or should I just accept that she will not be a roach eater ( which I’m ok with because I’m not a fan either 🤣)

That’s odd…usually veileds are little eating machines. Are the dubia small enough for her? Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big. How are you giving them to her? You could put one on the screen for it to climb and see if she goes for it.

That’s odd…usually veileds are little eating machines. Are the dubia small enough for her? Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big. How are you giving them to her? You could put one on the screen for it to climb and see if she goes for it.
Yes they’re smaller than the space between her eyes and I’ve been cup feeding since I got her. Usually I’ll hold the cup for her she eats a couple bugs then I leave it in it’s stand for her to finish on her own. I do plan on getting a full throttle feeder as I am currently setting up a larger enclosure for her so maybe I will try that. Could it also just be that she’s being picky because she prefers wormy type bugs like the larvae?

You could with hold food with caution for a day or two and see if the roach is more appealing once it's the only option.

With that said I've tried it and have had zero luck in 3 years feeding my male panther dubia roaches (I also don't like them so it's not the worst thing hehehe) he's eaten 2 in the time I've had him. Dispite dozens of attempts I've totally given up on them as a feeder at this point.

I've used bsfl as a staple he loves them and they are easy to keep and gut load. And the cherry on top unused ones turning to flys. I buy the 250 count from a local shop and am happy to allow some to turn to flys so he can hunt them.

I stopped feeding crickets for a long time due to noise smell and risk of escape. I had an eye issue that was very difficult to resolve and my vet believed it could have been a feeder bite from crickets that were not eaten and were just living in the enclosure.
Now every so often I'll get a bucks worth gut load and feed them outside in a Tupperware but they are not allowed in my house or enclosure any longer.

His favorite item are worms
I order silk worms from beast mode silks they have a pre order type kinda thing so you can count on them arriving at a set time based on size you order.

Hornworms are a treat but when singles are available I grab a few they can be sustained on carrots / greens / silk chow / big burger for a day or two but can cannibalize each other or just rot if you don't store them correctly.

Super worms are also am option but are not ment to be a regular staple so it's a once in a while. If my Cham gets supers regularly he will avoid other feeders in preference for the super. And that brings me back to the first point. They will eat if they are hungry. Don't starve your Cham but wait them out a day or so and then try the roach.

Best of luck.

A long while back a dubia got left in the enclosure and lived under a plant. It got BIG I was cleaning one day (months after the last attempt of feeding a roach mind you) and it scurried up a branch and my guy was All over it. Only time he was interested in a roach 🪳 and it was far to large he snagged it with his tongue but wasn't able to get it down. I was so freaked out and ended up squishing it after he coughed it up. Used the tongs and had a lil squirmy dance to the trash can outside with it.

Couldn't imagine leaving them loose in the enclosure before but especially after this experience. 🤯

Yes they’re smaller than the space between her eyes and I’ve been cup feeding since I got her. Usually I’ll hold the cup for her she eats a couple bugs then I leave it in it’s stand for her to finish on her own. I do plan on getting a full throttle feeder as I am currently setting up a larger enclosure for her so maybe I will try that. Could it also just be that she’s being picky because she prefers wormy type bugs like the larvae?
Yes, she could just be picky. As has already been said, some chams just don’t like roaches or need some motivation to try them. I guess I’ve been lucky that all of my chams will eat anything that moves.

A long while back a dubia got left in the enclosure and lived under a plant. It got BIG I was cleaning one day (months after the last attempt of feeding a roach mind you) and it scurried up a branch and my guy was All over it. Only time he was interested in a roach 🪳 and it was far to large he snagged it with his tongue but wasn't able to get it down. I was so freaked out and ended up squishing it after he coughed it up. Used the tongs and had a lil squirmy dance to the trash can outside with it.

Couldn't imagine leaving them loose in the enclosure before but especially after this experience. 🤯
Oh no I’m pretty sure I have one lost in the enclosure and can’t find it. Thank god we’re moving to a bigger one soon. I don’t do bugs which is why I will be completely okay if she ends up not wanting the roaches

You could with hold food with caution for a day or two and see if the roach is more appealing once it's the only option.

With that said I've tried it and have had zero luck in 3 years feeding my male panther dubia roaches (I also don't like them so it's not the worst thing hehehe) he's eaten 2 in the time I've had him. Dispite dozens of attempts I've totally given up on them as a feeder at this point.

I've used bsfl as a staple he loves them and they are easy to keep and gut load. And the cherry on top unused ones turning to flys. I buy the 250 count from a local shop and am happy to allow some to turn to flys so he can hunt them.

I stopped feeding crickets for a long time due to noise smell and risk of escape. I had an eye issue that was very difficult to resolve and my vet believed it could have been a feeder bite from crickets that were not eaten and were just living in the enclosure.
Now every so often I'll get a bucks worth gut load and feed them outside in a Tupperware but they are not allowed in my house or enclosure any longer.

I order silk worms from beast mode silks they have a pre order type kinda thing so you can count on them arriving at a set time based on size you order.

Hornworms are a treat but when singles are available I grab a few they can be sustained on carrots / greens / silk chow / big burger for a day or two but can cannibalize each other or just rot if you don't store them correctly.

Super worms are also am option but are not ment to be a regular staple so it's a once in a while. If my Cham gets supers regularly he will avoid other feeders in preference for the super. And that brings me back to the first point. They will eat if they are hungry. Don't starve your Cham but wait them out a day or so and then try the roach.

Best of luck.
Thanks for all of this info. I’ve been trying to get away from crickets because I know there’s more nutritious feeders out there but she loves them, and loves hunting when they get loose, and I don’t mind them much.

I also had one get loose in my bioactive cage with my male Juvenile Carpet Chameleon, Shag. By the time I found it it was huge!!! Not quite an adult but definitely a sub adult. luckily I had put some bug grub down to supplement my isopods because Shag sometimes eats them. I put fresh veggies down there once in a while too and then spy on them in the middle of the night to see how my populations is doing. The roach was down there and totally freaked me out. After I put him back in the colony I realized I was probably lucky the roach didn’t try to.eat Shag. It totally creeped me out!

Thanks for all of this info. I’ve been trying to get away from crickets because I know there’s more nutritious feeders out there but she loves them, and loves hunting when they get loose, and I don’t mind them much

Thanks for all of this info. I’ve been trying to get away from crickets because I know there’s more nutritious feeders out there but she loves them, and loves hunting when they get loose, and I don’t mind them much.
Your very welcome I am glad to have a lil bit to share after learning as much on the forum over the few years I've been a part of it. I've spent far more time that I'd like to admit digging in the search function for info but it's all available thankfully there are very experienced keepers who share a wealth of information. Makes it easier to get into the hobby feeling empowered and confident.

Hello!
I have an approx. 4 month old veiled girl who seems to not be a fan of Dubia roaches. I’ve had her about a month and a half and have been feeding crickets and the occasional wax worms. She generally eats between 5-10 crickets a day and is slowing down on numbers as she gets older. I was finally able to get my hands on small Dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae and she loves the larvae but wants nothing to do with roaches. After trying a couple times I gave in and gave her more crickets and she ate them right up. Is there a trick to make the roaches more tempting or should I just accept that she will not be a roach eater ( which I’m ok with because I’m not a fan either 🤣)
My male panther wouldn't touch dubias (in favor of crickets) prior to 6 months.
I'm not a fan of withholding food from rapidly growing critters (personal choice/feeling) so I waited until his growing slowed, after which it did (does) help.

I've found that mixing the roaches with other live feeders (e.g. giant mealworms) also helps.
  • If I put 6 roaches in the cup, he may eat 1-3 of them.
  • If I put 6 roaches in the cup along with 6 giant mealworms, he'll eat all the worms and 3-6 of the roaches.
I went through a similar saga trying to get my beardie to eat greens & veggies of any sort.

Between the 2 lizards, the Missus' tortoise, and countless picky eaters of the furry-butted persuasion, I've learned that they're all different. Some eating habits are age/maturity-related, sometimes it's an acquired taste thing, and sometimes they just don't—and/or won't—eat some particular food... ever.

Best suggestion I have is to keep offering, and keep trying different things. I threw out nearly a year's worth of untouched beardie salads, and then one day out of the blue—there wasn't any leftover/wilted salad to throw out; he ate it, and he's been eating greens (in moderation) ever since. 🤷‍♂️

I started letting the dubias climb in the shooting gallery and now he eats them. My little 8m. Panther is not a fan of bowls

Best of luck.
I'm having all these same issues with my 1 y/o male Panther. He loves superworms and will eat crickets but refuses Dubias. I want away from crickets for good. How do you feed the BSFL? I have bought some before that turned to flies and released them and he was not impressed.

Hello!
I put in the cup but swirl it first so the roaches are moving. Otherwise they tend to freeze.

I cup feed my guy and the trick is to get the Dubai moving so they get your chams attention. I put some Dubai in the cup along with a couple crickets. The crickets keep the Dubai moving.

I'm having all these same issues with my 1 y/o male Panther. He loves superworms and will eat crickets but refuses Dubias. I want away from crickets for good. How do you feed the BSFL? I have bought some before that turned to flies and released them and he was not impressed.
I gut load the bsfl with fresh foods as well as bug burger to ensure they are prime for feeding. I normally will notice the flys start to develop and will place the container in the bottom of a plant in the enclosure leaving it just barely ajar. I normally wait to open the door until he snacks on some so as they don't fly away. They seem to like flying up to the lights. I feel better knowing there are food items available if I do end up withholding his other feeders a day or two while he snacks of the fly. They are pretty dopey so sometimes I'll just blow at them to push them back to the rear of the enclosure if I need to open the door up to remove the container or drop off silk worms or something. My panther will ignore them for a little bit some even land on his head. I'll be sitting at the table hours later relaxing and watching him. And he will start to roam around the canopy and snack them. I'd like to think it's enrichment for both he and I.

I gut load the bsfl with fresh foods as well as bug burger to ensure they are prime for feeding. I normally will notice the flys start to develop and will place the container in the bottom of a plant in the enclosure leaving it just barely ajar. I normally wait to open the door until he snacks on some so as they don't fly away. They seem to like flying up to the lights. I feel better knowing there are food items available if I do end up withholding his other feeders a day or two while he snacks of the fly. They are pretty dopey so sometimes I'll just blow at them to push them back to the rear of the enclosure if I need to open the door up to remove the container or drop off silk worms or something. My panther will ignore them for a little bit some even land on his head. I'll be sitting at the table hours later relaxing and watching him. And he will start to roam around the canopy and snack them. I'd like to think it's enrichment for both he and I.
Yup, that’s what I do

Back
Top Bottom