Winter Slowdown??

danielle609

Established Member
Well first off I hope everyone has had a good start to the New Year! I haven't been on as much because my laptop crashed and I just bought a new one...this time I didn't have enough $ for a mac, so I am back in the PC world :)

Alright so I guess I should get to the main point of this thread.. I sorta freaked out a couple days before Christmas because my male Panther didn't want to eat and on top of that he has been on a schedule of defecating only 1-2 times a week. He is/was very well hydrated so I got worried. Well the vet couldn't get me in that saturday but someone cancelled on christmas eve, so I took him in at 8 in the morning (poor guy I had to wake him up :) ) By that time I had gotten a fecal sample and that came back negative. He gave Dizzy a good check-over and didn't see anything wrong. He weighed 1gram more than he did at his last check-up. So the only thing the vet could conclude is that since it is winter his body can sense that and will automatically slow down a bit. He also wants me to bring him in every couple of weeks for a couple of months to get a weight chart on him. Since then he hasn't refused crickets and I am going to order some silkies once it warms up.

So this is my question(s); is it true that chameleons will slow down a little during winter? Since it is colder in my house should I try to switch to a higher watt basking bulb to increasing the overall temp in the cage? I know with certain animals it is good to provide them with a "winter slowdown" but I am not sure if Madigascar has that large of a difference in seasons, maybe someone can give me a better idea of the climate in Madagascar?

Alright last question I promise... Is it normal for a Cham to only defecate 1-2 times a week? My female is very regular and he was when he was younger, but he hasn't been for 6 months or so. I did hear somewhere that as they get older they don't "go" as much. I just did the math (he was born in April 2005) so he will be 3 in April, is that old for a Cham?Sorry for all the questions....but it has been a while since I have posted last:) Thanks in advance!

Dani

well to help easy you....my male veiled wasnt eating for
over a month, and still isnt eating very much. i try to give him
a supper worm or meal worm beatle every day. he has been
eating on his own, but its not much. so i dust his food and force
feed him. i took him to the vet and everything was A okay! so dont worry.
hope that helps!

This is Kitty's first winter as an adult and we have observed similar behavior.
(Kitty is a veiled)
Although I don't believe veileds and panthers practice true brumation ... I am beginning to think they react to the season.
Kitty has been putting himself to bed very early, even though he cannot see how early it gets dark, and his appetite is much less. He is eliminating every three or four days.
Otherwise everything is normal. He basks most of the day and has not lost any weight.
I do attribute all of this behavior to the time of year.
I do not, however, have any scientific evidence to support my theory ... only my observations.
We will see how and if things change once spring and summer arrive.
I am not worried about him. I do think that his metabolism has slowed.

-Brad

I agree with Brad on this. I notice my veiled sleeps earlier then usual when the weather changes. I thought it was weird.

Thanks guys for your replies. I am not too worried anymore, because I do have a really good vet, and Dizzy is still healthy. I just wanted to see what you guys think about the whole winter thing.

Thanks guys for your replies. I am not too worried anymore, because I do have a really good vet, and Dizzy is still healthy. I just wanted to see what you guys think about the whole winter thing.

Mine has been doing that too.

WOOT! Im not the only one going through this! Sorry,dont mean to sound mean, I personally think its a winter thing.

Back
Top Bottom