Winter Caging

Well the weather has finally turned and the chams must come in from there free range hideaways outside. I can never understand why I wait for the last minute to start getting the indoor cages ready. Here are some of the cages in so far, I have a whole bunch more to go. Luckily they will only be in for three months, four at the most.

_DSC2046.jpg

_DSC2089.jpg

_DSC2097.jpg

_DSC2062.jpg

_DSC2087.jpg

_DSC2053.jpg

WOW!! What type of cham is the green one with the black spots? I've never seen one like that before!!

Dyesub Dave. :D

The green one with black spots is a deremensis juvi male. He is displaying thus the the spots. I run 4' shop lights on top of the cages they are just not on in the pics yet, I have a bunch more cages to finish before the room is finished. My chams spend 9 months of the year in natural sunlight, so why I do sue UV supplement in the winter cages I do not worry as much about it and use very high quality "montane shade" supplements made by Rock Solid Herpetoculture in the winter. I run the weakest 4' UV bulb I can find in combo with a "plant" light in each fixture and then of course the basking lights. Thanks for the look.

Zerah,

The dark green corruplast looks great. I'm glad that I could convince you to use it. Let me know your thoughts on it. Would you share the brand of the matching fabric also?

Talk to you soon,

Yeah Will thanks for the advice there, LOL, the corruplast is fun stuff to work with. The shade cloth on the sides is the same Lowes brand I have used for most of my outdoor cages but it is a 85% block, thus the chams would have to have their eyes pressed to it to make out the shadows of their neighbor. So far the green really does seem to have some effect on the animals I have had no screen climbing at all but time will tell.

What I am battling now is humidity, the garage gets dry very quickly so I have turned to a humidifier, I may invest in one of those household floor model things. Once the misting system and drains are finished it will be easier to tell what is needed to get to 85-90% night time #'s.

I reccomend, for a room like a garage, a couple Vick's Ultrasonic Humidifier, Model V5100N. The one I bought is fantastic. However I have seen a lot of complaints about them. Maybe 25% of reviews say they didn't work right or something. So, I suppose if you get a working one, you'll love it. It pretty much pours out a thick cool fog.

Back
Top Bottom