Windowsill light enough?

HiroProtagonist

Hi all,
I've got a male jackson's chameleon who's around 6-8 months old. Right now I've got him in a good sized cage in front of a window that gets a good amount of direct sunlight (there is also an adjacent window that lets light into his cage) and I'm hearing from everyone I know who has a chameleon that they've got some kind of artificial light setup.

So, my question is, is the sunlight enough or should I be suppliment the window light (which is as direct as being outside except the windowscreen that filters the light a bit) with artificial lighting?

I'd have a UVB and heat lamp available at all times. I do the same thing sometimes but you will have those days when it rains or is just way too cloudy, or its too cold etc. Its just insurance as I look at it.

Hi all,
I've got a male jackson's chameleon who's around 6-8 months old. Right now I've got him in a good sized cage in front of a window that gets a good amount of direct sunlight (there is also an adjacent window that lets light into his cage) and I'm hearing from everyone I know who has a chameleon that they've got some kind of artificial light setup.

So, my question is, is the sunlight enough or should I be suppliment the window light (which is as direct as being outside except the windowscreen that filters the light a bit) with artificial lighting?

Sunlight looses its UV ray when it goes thru a glass or plastic.
But, if the barrier is only a screen, then it will have the same effect as putting the guy outside.
But, it does not hurt to have artificial lighting just in case.
(i also put my chameleon cage near window and he always get a sunlight.
but due to the fire disaster that's happening right now, a sunlight is no longer an option as the air is polluted by smoke.. so, my artificial lighting become the sunlight substitute until the skies clear again)

Remember that the glass/plastic/whatever clear barrier is between the outside and the chameleon, was probably made after the 1960's in which case it almost assuredly blocks all UV rays. If the sunlight keeps his basking temperatures in the right range then you still need to make up for the lack of UVB.

Thanks for the replies! :)

So I guess I'll get him a light...I'd much rather get a tube than a spotlight...so I'm thinking one of those repti-lights? Is it reptisun or reptiglo? 5.0?

If anyone has info on the tube lights that'd be awesome. Oh, and I've already got regular fixtures for tube fluorescents...can I use those or do these lights need some kind of special ballast?

Howdy,

Go with the ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube (not a compact one) and just run it in a decent fixture. If it has an aluminum reflector surface, it will be even more efficient at putting the UVB in the right direction. Run a new one about 12"-15" and after about 100 hours, you can let your chameleon get within 6"-12".

More info:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

Thanks for the replies! :)

So I guess I'll get him a light...I'd much rather get a tube than a spotlight...so I'm thinking one of those repti-lights? Is it reptisun or reptiglo? 5.0?

If anyone has info on the tube lights that'd be awesome. Oh, and I've already got regular fixtures for tube fluorescents...can I use those or do these lights need some kind of special ballast?

You will also need the heat lamp. Just get a cheap flood lamp and a 60w halogen light bulb at walmart. The florescent lights you can get here, depends on what size your fixture is though to fit it.

www.lllreptile.com or www.herpsupplies.com

Soo...I think I got the wrong one. :mad:

I couldn't remember what was after the "repti" so I got the reptiglo 5.0 instead of the reptiSUN 5.0. The reason I chose that one was because it said tropical on it...so it seemed to make sense. What exactly is the difference between the two?

I use the repti-glo 5.0 fluorescent bulbs and compacts and they seem to work fine. I've been looking at getting some of the mercury vapor bulbs as they contain the heat and the UVB. They're more expensive but you only have to buy one bulb and I'm fairly sure that their effectiveness lasts longer than other UVB bulbs. I beleive that the repti-sun compacts have been reported to have some problems with UV burning in herps.

Dyesub Dave. :D

lonomac: My room is like a sauna when I come home from work...if it were any hotter in there it would be bad.

Dyesub: I was just reading the box on the reptiglo 5.0 and it says to use it WITH the reptiglo 2.0...is this necessary?? Especially since they've got natural light/heat and my male jacksons seems to ignore the light entirely and opt for the sunny part of his cage.

lonomac: My room is like a sauna when I come home from work...if it were any hotter in there it would be bad.

Dyesub: I was just reading the box on the reptiglo 5.0 and it says to use it WITH the reptiglo 2.0...is this necessary?? Especially since they've got natural light/heat and my male jacksons seems to ignore the light entirely and opt for the sunny part of his cage.

About the 2.0, they recommend pairing it with the 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0 for visual effect as the higher uvb bulbs don't give off much light. It will also helps your live plants grow and stimulate appetite. I combine the 2.0 with 10.0 in all my cages and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom