Window trouble???

nessavee

So we have this huge window over looking our lake and a patch of green grass from our apartments. The sun hits so perfectly in the morning and we decided to move him so he can have more of a "scenery" and some sunshine. Ever since we had moved him, he doesn't move. He is always looking out the window. He isn't as "energetic" as he use to be. He use to move around all his cage and explore but now he always stays in one spot. We are just concerned if this is okay. We have a few seagulls that fly by along with some crows. Some neighbors will go outside a few times with their dogs to the grass area. His colors are great. His eyes will close a lot more often, not necessarily him falling asleep, just "resting". Any suggestions anyone can give?

Attachments

• IMG_3499 (Edited).JPG
    IMG_3499 (Edited).JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3505 (Edited).JPG
    IMG_3505 (Edited).JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3533.JPG
    IMG_3533.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 81
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled male 9 months
  • Handling - He'll come out to me about once a week
  • Feeding - 6-8 crickets every other day, he loves greens everyday (dandelion leaves or romaine lettuce)
  • Supplements - I use ReptiVite w/D3 and ReptiCalcium. Dust them about once or twice a week
  • Watering - I have been using the dripper and I hand mist. I mist about 5 times a day for about 5 minutes a day.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown with white, normal
  • History - I've had him since July of 2017. He's had no major problems. Everything has been tested and is normal.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have an aluminum cage 16″ x 16″ x 30″ - currently looking for a bigger one
  • Lighting - I am using Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb 60 watt, and ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent 13 watt. I do have the window open so he sees outside and sunlight will come through. Still a little too cold outside so we keep it closed when its rainy and cloudy out.
  • Temperature - Temps run from 75-85 F with basking of 85 F. Lowest overnight temp is 60F. I have a humidity and temp gauge.
  • Humidity - Humidity has been 65-75%
  • Plants - I had to remove his live plant, noticed a white mold growing on the soil (from being constantly moist)
  • Placement - He is in our dining room next to a major window. We are out of his site (we don't use our dining room) he is about 5-6 ft off the ground.
  • Location - Seattle, Wa

Current Problem - Please see above post :)

Hmmm. Does he close his eyes only when basking? Also, by energetic, what do you mean, specifically? Had he been pacing around his cage or something like that?

So we have this huge window over looking our lake and a patch of green grass from our apartments. The sun hits so perfectly in the morning and we decided to move him so he can have more of a "scenery" and some sunshine. Ever since we had moved him, he doesn't move. He is always looking out the window. He isn't as "energetic" as he use to be. He use to move around all his cage and explore but now he always stays in one spot. We are just concerned if this is okay. We have a few seagulls that fly by along with some crows. Some neighbors will go outside a few times with their dogs to the grass area. His colors are great. His eyes will close a lot more often, not necessarily him falling asleep, just "resting". Any suggestions anyone can give?

He could be stressed out/mesmerized because he feels more exposed to view and trying to "disappear". Bright colors can mean that he's in a higher state of alertness, not that he's contented. If he is in a more constant state of alarm or high alert he may be closing his eyes because he's exhausted. Another slight possibility....when the light hits the window at just the right angle it might be generating a reflection of him. How long since you moved him? Try pulling a shade or curtain so part of his cage is NOT exposed to the view. He might retreat to that area then you would know.

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - 6-8 crickets every other day, he loves greens everyday (dandelion leaves or romaine lettuce)
  • Supplements - I use ReptiVite w/D3 and ReptiCalcium. Dust them about once or twice a week
  • Watering - I have been using the dripper and I hand mist. I mist about 5 times a day for about 5 minutes a day.
  • History - I've had him since July of 2017. He's had no major problems. Everything has been tested and is normal.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have an aluminum cage 16″ x 16″ x 30″ - currently looking for a bigger one
  • Lighting - I am using Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb 60 watt, and ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent 13 watt. I do have the window open so he sees outside and sunlight will come through. Still a little too cold outside so we keep it closed when its rainy and cloudy out.
  • Temperature - Temps run from 75-85 F with basking of 85 F. Lowest overnight temp is 60F. I have a humidity and temp gauge.
  • Plants - I had to remove his live plant, noticed a white mold growing on the soil (from being constantly moist)
  • Placement - He is in our dining room next to a major window. We are out of his site (we don't use our dining room) he is about 5-6 ft off the ground.
  • Location - Seattle, Wa

I had a Reptisun mini compact fruorescent and my cham was closing his eyes in middle of the day. I removed the reptisun, he never closed his eyes again for no reason. Also, I read that the daylight blue bulbs were giving some sort of ocular migraine to chams.
I think that every one should invest in, at least, a good linear uvb light. Like a t5 or t8 from a trusted brand. However, the best is to get a megaray or an arcadia D3 basking light, since they are the most natural way of offering ´sun’ to your cham. And honestly, there is not much difference of money between changing your compact fluorescent, that cost about 25$, each 6 months (should be each 3 months), and to use your megaray for up to 13-14 months.
Anyway, I’m just saying, I’m not judging. I’ve been there. Trust me, when you see that your cham is truly happy it’s worth it all.

Hmmm. Does he close his eyes only when basking? Also, by energetic, what do you mean, specifically? Had he been pacing around his cage or something like that?
It seems like its other times besides basking. By energetic, he use to go hunt for his crickets and go up to his dripper. Now he won't hunt until the crickets climb up the cage and even then, he still wont walk closer to them unless they are right in front of his face. He wasn't really pacing before.

He could be stressed out/mesmerized because he feels more exposed to view and trying to "disappear". Bright colors can mean that he's in a higher state of alertness, not that he's contented. If he is in a more constant state of alarm or high alert he may be closing his eyes because he's exhausted. Another slight possibility....when the light hits the window at just the right angle it might be generating a reflection of him. How long since you moved him? Try pulling a shade or curtain so part of his cage is NOT exposed to the view. He might retreat to that area then you would know.
Thank you, we have moved him away from the window with direct view. I am hoping this will help him.

I had a Reptisun mini compact fruorescent and my cham was closing his eyes in middle of the day. I removed the reptisun, he never closed his eyes again for no reason. Also, I read that the daylight blue bulbs were giving some sort of ocular migraine to chams.
I think that every one should invest in, at least, a good linear uvb light. Like a t5 or t8 from a trusted brand. However, the best is to get a megaray or an arcadia D3 basking light, since they are the most natural way of offering ´sun’ to your cham. And honestly, there is not much difference of money between changing your compact fluorescent, that cost about 25$, each 6 months (should be each 3 months), and to use your megaray for up to 13-14 months.
Anyway, I’m just saying, I’m not judging. I’ve been there. Trust me, when you see that your cham is truly happy it’s worth it all.
I appreciate this. We are going to change his light, hopefully this is improve for him. I am into doing whatever it takes to make him happy and content. We wanna be good parents

This was him this morning, in his original spot away from direct window view. His basking light is on the other side of his cage.

Attachments

• IMG-3649.JPG
    IMG-3649.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-3650.JPG
    IMG-3650.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 63
Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - 6-8 crickets every other day, he loves greens everyday (dandelion leaves or romaine lettuce). He could probably eat a little more per feeding but every chams appetite is different
  • Supplements - I use ReptiVite w/D3 and ReptiCalcium. Dust them about once or twice a week. Dust plain calcium without d3 with every feeding, Calcium w/ D3 twice per month, and a reptile multivitamin twice per month.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - I am using Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb 60 watt, and ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent 13 watt. I do have the window open so he sees outside and sunlight will come through. Still a little too cold outside so we keep it closed when its rainy and cloudy out. I suggest switching the basking bulb to a plain white incandescent house bulb. They are cheaper and last longer with better heat output per watt. Invest in a linear bulb fixture for the UVB when you upgrade the cage.
  • Location - Seattle, Wa

I added my comments and suggestions above. In case you may not know, windows block UVB so putting the chameleons cage by the window doesnt have any advantages in my opinion.

The fact that you moved the cage and now he has his eyes closed more often is concerning. This usually indicates that something is wrong and has been for a bit. A vet visit may be required soon if he doesnt improve.

You didn't mention your lighting schedule. When do you turn the lights on and off? Any night lights?

I added my comments and suggestions above. In case you may not know, windows block UVB so putting the chameleons cage by the window doesnt have any advantages in my opinion.

The fact that you moved the cage and now he has his eyes closed more often is concerning. This usually indicates that something is wrong and has been for a bit. A vet visit may be required soon if he doesnt improve.

You didn't mention your lighting schedule. When do you turn the lights on and off? Any night lights?

Yes, we just switched his bulb today for a regular white bulb. I knew that windows blocked UVB, we just did it for a scenery change. We are looking for a specialized vet in our area. We are going to take him in, even if he improves, just to have a check up. We turn on his lights at about 7am and turn them off 7pm. We keep a 12hr schedule for his lights and we use no night lights. We keep it pretty dark where his cage is. We are looking for the new cage so i'll look into that new fixture. Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate all the help.

I hope he feels better. Glad to help :)

I want to add, also, that it could be that the window is facing south. That would mean that at one moment of the day, it becomes really hot. The sun through the window creates a lot of heat in the room, combine that with the basking light... you may want to look for that.
The fact is that some chams close their eyes and rest as a protection from dehydration and heat. It has to do with the humidity too. If it is really hot, then it HAS to be humid too. It is not natural otherwise and no animal can endure drought and heat.
I’m pretty sure it is only about that in your case. So try misting manually the eclosure and you will see improvement right away.
Keep us updated. :)

This was him this morning, in his original spot away from direct window view. His basking light is on the other side of his cage.
He does look dehydrated a bit. And as I thought, the sun is directly on him. It’s not bad to do that, my chams bask in the natural afternoon sun by the window but it’s not the mid day sun. So yeah just position the cage so the sun is there only in morning or afternoon:)

I hope he feels better. Glad to help :)

I want to add, also, that it could be that the window is facing south. That would mean that at one moment of the day, it becomes really hot. The sun through the window creates a lot of heat in the room, combine that with the basking light... you may want to look for that.
The fact is that some chams close their eyes and rest as a protection from dehydration and heat. It has to do with the humidity too. If it is really hot, then it HAS to be humid too. It is not natural otherwise and no animal can endure drought and heat.
I’m pretty sure it is only about that in your case. So try misting manually the eclosure and you will see improvement right away.
Keep us updated. :)

Thank you! Our window actually hits east, so he gets the morning sun. His temperatures are really good. Perfect humidity too. Now that we moved him away from the window he's doing better. We've seen him eat and drink also. We figured being by the window might have made him very alert like someone suggested so that's why he wasn't drinking or eating as much. His eyes were open a lot yesterday and today, he went for a hunt for his crickets. Slowly improving! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom