Window screen and uvb

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
For a while now I have been opening my window on sunny days, for some good uvb. Well now that I can test it with a solar meter, it is only 0.1 . I was surprised it was so low. I checked outside in the sun. In fairness outside was only 1.6. This is in Oregon at 3pm.
I am thinking the fiberglass screen blocks more UVB than aluminum. I know some are made that way, but even just normal window screen.

I assume the sky was overcast?
If you're getting a lot of smoke from the fires—even high up—it can block out a lot too.

I think fern glass screen does filter out more uvb than aluminum, but there’s another reason for the discrepancy. If your finer glass screen was horizontal outside, and you measured the sun through it, you’d probably see a 35-50% reduction. But angle that horizontal screen 45 degrees and it’ll be more like 75% reduction, and so on. When you’re measuring the uvb through a completely vertical window, and your solar meter is angled toward the sun, the screen is blocking way more light. Try looking through the screen at a sharp angle: it’s harder to see through.

Direct sun. But it is about how much UVB is lost.
1.6 to .1
1.6 is... pretty low. Lemme check what it is here at approx. same latitude.
Only question is if I can get full sun @ 3pm.
I don't doubt your veracity; I just don't understand how it could be so low.

I think fern glass screen does filter out more uvb than aluminum, but there’s another reason for the discrepancy. If your finer glass screen was horizontal outside, and you measured the sun through it, you’d probably see a 35-50% reduction. But angle that horizontal screen 45 degrees and it’ll be more like 75% reduction, and so on. When you’re measuring the uvb through a completely vertical window, and your solar meter is angled toward the sun, the screen is blocking way more light. Try looking through the screen at a sharp angle: it’s harder to see through.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. That does make complete sense.

It is Oregon. Humans here take D3 supplements.
I was a bit suprised my self and had to some cross referencing to make sure. It just didn't seem right.
but here we go.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/forecasts/uv/oregon/portland

It is kind of crazy. That is what started me thinking how much UV do they need. But Then I remembered, we don't have many sun dwellers here, go figure.

I am getting more inside lol

Makes me all the more curious to see what I get here.

EDIT:
I just checked the site you cited, and believe it or don't, 4/7 numbers here are even lower at the same latitude. Must be the change in seasons; last I checked was around the summer solstice, but I wouldn't have thought it would change that much. ?

Last edited:

Im in Ohio, 1.6-2 sounds right for overcast. It has to be high noon in summer to hit 6.0.

EDIT:
I just checked the site you cited, and believe it or don't, 4/7 numbers here are even lower at the same latitude. Must be the change in seasons; last I checked was around the summer solstice, but I wouldn't have thought it would change that much. ?

I know that is what I thought. I would never imagined on a clear sunny day too.

Hey took pics for you. We have a clear sky and full sun. 11am Northern CA on the coast.

Going through fiberglass window screen.

IMG_5481.jpg

Full sun reading

IMG_5482.jpg

Through aluminum uncoated window screen same angle as inside my house in my outdoor enclosure.

IMG_5483.jpg

@Beman Interesting, This is where my last question of "is below 3 uvi useful?" came from.
It is looking like even in an outside enclosure the are under 3. Now I realize it is the sun so there are differences. I just find it curious.
If we keep our cham outside, no D3, But they almost seem to be getting more in our cages, yet we supplement.

Now I am pretty sure there is an answer for this, I am just curious what it is ?

@Beman Interesting, This is where my last question of "is below 3 uvi useful?" came from.
It is looking like even in an outside enclosure the are under 3. Now I realize it is the sun so there are differences. I just find it curious.
If we keep our cham outside, no D3, But they almost seem to be getting more in our cages, yet we supplement.

Now I am pretty sure there is an answer for this, I am just curious what it is ?
My mid day UVI here easily hits a 3-4 summer it does get higher. I think the biggest difference is with the sun it is gradual increase in the UVI levels vs our enclosures.

Personally I feel the supplementation is a safety net... And if you do it the way you should of 2 times a month with a D3 and A combo then you will not over supplement them. The D3 process of use is different when given orally vs soaking up the UVB. Additionally not enough is known on supplementation. D3 and A work together though somehow. Again all of this is a bit over my level of understanding.

I personally feel like there are a lot of unknowns when it comes to the differences of indoor vs outdoor. If you look at how a chameleon responds in an outdoor enclosure vs an indoor one. IME they are very different from one to another. Total color changes. Like they get something totally different from the sun.

My mid day UVI here easily hits a 3-4 summer it does get higher. I think the biggest difference is with the sun it is gradual increase in the UVI levels vs our enclosures.

Personally I feel the supplementation is a safety net... And if you do it the way you should of 2 times a month with a D3 and A combo then you will not over supplement them. The D3 process of use is different when given orally vs soaking up the UVB. Additionally not enough is known on supplementation. D3 and A work together though somehow. Again all of this is a bit over my level of understanding.

I personally feel like there are a lot of unknowns when it comes to the differences of indoor vs outdoor. If you look at how a chameleon responds in an outdoor enclosure vs an indoor one. IME they are very different from one to another. Total color changes. Like they get something totally different from the sun.

Again I agree. There is something, it is above my paygrade as well lol

I went out and checked around 3pm (here). I got 0.5, but there was partial overcast (sun was covered but not so densely that I couldn't easily tell where it was).

I think it was close enough to concur with everyone else's readings, the weather bureau, etc.
Just surprises me it's so low.

Regarding D3, I have to take it every day. I'm not a chameleon, and humans can still make it from UV exposure like chameleons (hence, the sunshine vitamin), yet half the world's population is deficient.

Too bad there's not some kind of cheap test where we could dip a strip of paper into cham ? and find out how they're doing... :(

Back
Top Bottom