Will this rust

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
i was wondering if these pieces would rust in a cham enclosure? was thinking they could be foamed over for a foundation or hold plants. It's that metal with the white coating, people use for shelves and whatever.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 123
Yes, any parts that are not coated will rust. The ends, where they are cut, will rust. There are little rubber caps you can get to go over the ends. Also, anywhere the coating gets scratched will rust. Someone put these shelves outside in my shed before I moved in and they are all rusty.

Damn kind of figured that. Know of anything similar that won't? Or a reliable coating i could add? These would be perfect for what i'm doing.

If you silicone over the cut ends and apply the great stuff foam you might be able to keep it from getting wet and rusting.
I used light weight foam backing to make my build out. I was able to zip tie the pots to it and the foam stuck to it. I know several people have used the grid style ceiling light panels to make theirs.

Yeah i was thinking, might have to go with the light diffuser, i was just thinking those metal pieces would be more sturdy. Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to just cover them in a layer of silicone and then foam over?

Thanks for helping

Paint it with a siliconebased paint or latex based paint and do a couple coats you can get it in spray can form just make sure its completely dried and cured

All great ideas thank you! I liked the metal because they are light, but sturdy. Should work nicely for what i want to do.

I've used them to create a false bottom in my enclosure and they experience lots of moisture. Will they rust? Sure! Will the rust cause any problems before the enclosure itself and background is worn out also? Probably not.

Back
Top Bottom