Will she recover? The battle continues . . .

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
As a recap, I purchased a female veiled from Petco on January 31. 30 days later I took her back stating that I saw mucous on her branch and she seemed lethargic, low appetite, and closing her eyes during the day. Supposedly they brought her to their vet the next day and she was sent back with a clean bill of health. Now it's about 3 weeks later and she's not doing well. She doesn't seem to be eating (but never really would eat in front of me) and she's just not thriving or growing. She hasn't shed since the first week I had her, you can see her hip bones, and she doesn't look any larger than when I bought her. I called around to several potential reptile vets this morning hoping to find someone who would see her TODAY and finally found one at my regular dog vet - they had just brought an exotic pet vet on board!

He suspects MBD (says her jaw is rubbery) and yes, she is very underweight for her age. Doesn't suspect parasites but rather some sort of infection. He gave her two injections: one calcium gluconate and one Enrofloxacin/Baytril. He sent me home with both of those that I am to continue orally, as well as Critical Care to force feed her with. He warned me to prepare myself that she probably wasn't going to make it and that if she does, recovery will be long and slow.

I'm going to be researching the various ways to give orals (even though he demonstrated for me) but I don't feel as if she got enough since she never really opened.... he just kind of placed a drop in the side of her mouth. If anyone has any helpful tips or tricks on giving orals please share. HOPEFULLY she will get strong enough to start gaping at me and that will be my chance, but she doesn't do that right now, nor does she open when I press gently behind her cheeks. She is SO frail I am afraid of hurting her.... she's a whopping 11 grams at what we guess is 4-5 months old.

Only reptile lovers will relate to spending well over $1000 on a $60 pet. But once they are ours, we have to do whatever we possibly can, right? Wish me luck and send some positive energy to Bonnie. I was hoping she would grow up to be big and strong and someday meet my male, Clyde. :)
Sue

Aww…I’m sorry to hear she isn’t doing so well. I pray you can turn it around for her.
With giving anything oral make sure you aim towards the very back of her throat…the airway is in the front of the mouth.
It’s been awhile since I had to give a med to a cham, but I placed her on my bed and gently held her in place with the side of my hand while I very gently also held her casque with thumb and forefinger. It took a few tries. She hated this and gaped, which was when I was able to squirt the med in. If I missed the gaping, I gently pushed the tip of the syringe on the side of her lips and she’s get irritated and open her mouth. It also helps to put a crumpled up towel beneath her so she has something to hold onto.

Aim for the blue, avoid the red.

C503EBE4-852D-4603-AFCC-A5DB4B5F271D.jpeg

Aww…I’m sorry to hear she isn’t doing so well. I pray you can turn it around for her.
With giving anything oral make sure you aim towards the very back of her throat…the airway is in the front of the mouth.
It’s been awhile since I had to give a med to a cham, but I placed her on my bed and gently held her in place with the side of my hand while I very gently also held her casque with thumb and forefinger. It took a few tries. She hated this and gaped, which was when I was able to squirt the med in. If I missed the gaping, I gently pushed the tip of the syringe on the side of her lips and she’s get irritated and open her mouth. It also helps to put a crumpled up towel beneath her so she has something to hold onto.
Thanks. I did look up their anatomy to check where the tracheal opening is because I used to hand feed newly hatched birds so am always afraid of them aspirating. She's so friggin' tiny and fragile, there's just nothing to hold onto. 11 grams! And with suspected MBD, I'm afraid of breaking those bones, but hopefully she'll get strong enough to yell at me in a couple of days and that will be my golden opportunity. In the meantime, I will try use the syringe on the side of her mouth rather than the front - that seems less damaging.
Sue

I really wish that a fecal was done.... They can not rule out parasites without one. And everything you have been describing with her can be directly linked to a parasite load.

Did they do an xray? You said he suspects MBD but this is pretty clear with an xray if they actually have it or not.

This is what frustrates me... Just because they are an Exotic vet does not mean they are familiar with chameleons. They can actually make a situation much worse because they treat for a possibility rather than the real issue.

I really wish that a fecal was done.... They can not rule out parasites without one. And everything you have been describing with her can be directly linked to a parasite load.

Did they do an xray? You said he suspects MBD but this is pretty clear with an xray if they actually have it or not.

This is what frustrates me... Just because they are an Exotic vet does not mean they are familiar with chameleons. They can actually make a situation much worse because they treat for a possibility rather than the real issue.
I was very grateful that I was able to get her seen AT ALL yesterday - it hasn't been easy trying to find a vet in my state, let alone one who knows about chameleons, to disrupt their scheduled appointments to get me in on an hour's notice. So for that I will always be grateful to this particular vet.... he is in high demand (being a new addition to an existing practice who has recently advertised that they now have an exotic pet doctor on staff) and I think he did the best he could with her considering the time restraints. He took the time to speak with me in length after examining her which I also appreciated - he could have just jotted down some notes and handed them to a technician to relay to me. There was no fecal to be tested but if I can find a fresh one from her I will bring it in for testing. Since she hasn't been eating, there's none to be had.

Regarding an x-ray to definitively determine MBD, that will be done at the follow-up visit IF she survives long enough to have one. Right now the critical issue was getting some weight on her and getting her some strength and nutrients. If she survives the next week, then yes, she will be x-rayed but I didn't think that was a high priority yesterday when I was just trying to keep her alive.

I don't think the calcium injection nor the antibiotic injection could make her situation worse, but I'm not a vet so I could be wrong. Again, I'm grateful that she was seen and somewhat treated long enough to give her a fighting chance. I will continue to try to get the Critical Care into her and hope to keep her alive.... that's my only priority right now so, again, any helpful tips on how to safely get her mouth open to do so would be appreciated. Thanks for the thoughts and feedback.... I will definitely look into parasites and an x-ray if she lives through the week.
Sue

You shouldn’t need an appointment to drop off a poop for a fecal. That’s one of the first things a vet should do when you bring in a chameleon.

What state do you live in?
Nope, won't need an appointment to drop off a fecal.... I just need her to provide me with one. :)
Sue

As for giving oral meds, I cheat lol i am part of a 501c2 rescue , I am the reptile leg 🙂 I inject my roaches, silkworms, or what ever feeder they like, with the meds, alot of what we get in is wc , and not adjusting well, so by using feeders as medication vessel, it is way less stressful than pinning the the animal down and forcing the mouth open.
Of course they need to be eating to use this method, but put the bug( roaches work best) in a cup you are CERTAIN it can not get out of, and see if she will eat it that way.
Keep up the battle, and healing prays to her ❤🦎

I was very grateful that I was able to get her seen AT ALL yesterday - it hasn't been easy trying to find a vet in my state, let alone one who knows about chameleons, to disrupt their scheduled appointments to get me in on an hour's notice. So for that I will always be grateful to this particular vet.... he is in high demand (being a new addition to an existing practice who has recently advertised that they now have an exotic pet doctor on staff) and I think he did the best he could with her considering the time restraints. He took the time to speak with me in length after examining her which I also appreciated - he could have just jotted down some notes and handed them to a technician to relay to me. There was no fecal to be tested but if I can find a fresh one from her I will bring it in for testing. Since she hasn't been eating, there's none to be had.

Regarding an x-ray to definitively determine MBD, that will be done at the follow-up visit IF she survives long enough to have one. Right now the critical issue was getting some weight on her and getting her some strength and nutrients. If she survives the next week, then yes, she will be x-rayed but I didn't think that was a high priority yesterday when I was just trying to keep her alive.

I don't think the calcium injection nor the antibiotic injection could make her situation worse, but I'm not a vet so I could be wrong. Again, I'm grateful that she was seen and somewhat treated long enough to give her a fighting chance. I will continue to try to get the Critical Care into her and hope to keep her alive.... that's my only priority right now so, again, any helpful tips on how to safely get her mouth open to do so would be appreciated. Thanks for the thoughts and feedback.... I will definitely look into parasites and an x-ray if she lives through the week.
Sue
Baytril is hard on kidneys so make sure she is hydrated.
My tip for opening little mouths is a cheap plastic guitar pick. You can ease it in and then rotate it to make a space for meds

As for giving oral meds, I cheat lol i am part of a 501c2 rescue , I am the reptile leg 🙂 I inject my roaches, silkworms, or what ever feeder they like, with the meds, alot of what we get in is wc , and not adjusting well, so by using feeders as medication vessel, it is way less stressful than pinning the the animal down and forcing the mouth open.
Of course they need to be eating to use this method, but put the bug( roaches work best) in a cup you are CERTAIN it can not get out of, and see if she will eat it that way.
Keep up the battle, and healing prays to her ❤🦎
THANK YOU for the helpful reply and I truly appreciate your best wishes! Nope, she wouldn't even eat a roach when she had an appetite, but it's a great suggestion for if I ever need to give meds to my male because he will eat ANYTHING, ANYTIME.
Sue

Back
Top Bottom