Will Cham Freeze at Night?

johncjb

Hey, someone on the forums told me to keep my ultraviolet heat bulb off at night because it might prevent my cham from sleeping. Is it ok if temps drop to 62F? He is an Outsie cham :)

Chameleons like lower temps at night - 62 is fine - Oustalets Chameleon are from Madagascar - if you check the temps for today the low expected is 65- the coolest month is July where the temps drop to the 50's at night- lights at night will not let them get the sleep they need-
When I got my first chameleon in the states (I had another years ago in the chameleons native climate) I worried about her getting cold- she was just a baby- but her appetite and energy level actually got better after a bit of a cool down -
I think I saw that you posted in a different thread that you just got him- from Flchams which is where I got my Flapneck from- I'm pretty sure from their ads they had some captive born Oustalets and that is what you got -
In that case he'll still have to settle and get used to his new home - if I'm mistaken and he's wild caught it will take more time and patience. I've never had an Oustalet but they are known for being pretty mellow. It took a couple of weeks before my flapneck figured out that I was not trying to eat her and was actually bringing her food and to get used to the fact that she had a bigger cage that didn't have things to be afraid of behind every leaf.

Last edited:
Yeah Ousties will survive just above freezing temps down here so long as they can warm up in the daytime.

Left the bulb off last night and he is much more active than he was yesterday! He ate quite a few crickets this morning too! :D

Back
Top Bottom