Wild Nosy Boraha Dieing, help!

Essergra

For the last 2 1/2 - 3 weeks my Nosy Boraha has stopped eating and has been sleeping during the day most days. I posted a thread soon after it started, but my cham stopped for a bit, started sleeping much less, and eating normally for a bit, so I didn't worry about it. It finally came to the point that I force fed him earlier this week which he took quite well. I tried again yesterday and he kept spitting out all the crickets, but I got two down.

The last 2 days have been the tip over; I don't think he's drinking because his eyes are starting to sink in, and, he's sleeping ALL day and night, whereas before he would just sleep a good chunk of the day. He wakes up often and changes positions, but that's all. Worst of all, he's fallen a couple times and I've found him at the bottom of the cage asleep a few times.

Details Below
Nosy Boraha, Panther Chameleon, about 20" long, 3-4 years old, and wild caught.
Humidity/Temp: 40 - 80% and fluctuates throughout the day, Basking Spot 85-90, ambient 70-80, night time temp 70-76
Cage Size: 18lx13wx42h. Cage is also right next to the window that let's in sunlight. Glass panels with mesh top, and holes along the corner sides.
Diet: Crickets, Superworms, and just started dubia roaches (but he doesn't like them)
Supplements: Calcium /wo D3 on most meals. I think I chalk it a bit too much, but it shouldn't be a serious problem. His poop is normal (brown /w white yurate)!
Misting: Spray 3x a day
Lighting/Heat: UAB Lamp, 100w ceramic heating bulb.
Attention: I've had to give him tons of attention because of this problem lately.

Other Notes
1. I know the cage is small, but I have a much bigger cage with all mesh around it but he doesn't like it nearly as much. His colors go brown and darker. He enjoys the glass cage quite well because the humidity is strong. I also take him outside 2-3 times a week in my backyard where he climbs vines and sits there all day. I take him down in the evening.

2. He is wild caught, is my first chameleon, and I bought him from a breeder 2 months ago not knowing much about the concerns and potential problems of buying a wildcaught. I've done a lot of studying and question asking learning how to take care of panther chams. When I bought him from the breeder he was very healthy, eating regularly, and quite energetic. I haven't used multi-vitamins yet or /w d3 calcium, but it can't be a concern because it's only been 2 months.

3. About 3 weeks ago, he fell from our pergula outside 9-10 ft onto cement. I freaked out when I found him on the ground. He was holding still, but awake, aware, and didn't look bruised. I waited for a day or two and couldn't find any bruising or anything irregular on or about his body. He continued to act fairly normal (just not eating) for the next week and a half. I still haven't found anything irregular. Of course, something could have been bruised on the inside.

I'm looking for real help. I'm taking him into the vet this Tuesday, but am legitimately concerned that he will die within the next few days according to what has been going on. Help!

Hoping someone can offer you some help. I'm currently going through a bad situation, and the forums are deserted, leaving me to watch my girl helplessly die.

The only thing I can offer is to give him pedialyte, a few drops every other hour during the day until your vet appointment. Hopefully you'll get some more useful advice soon. Good luck friend.

Oh my god I wish I could help :( is there no way on earth that the vet will move the appointment to early monday? Usually if its a serious emergency most places will squeeze you in. I’d do anything in my power to get him to a vet asap. Also be careful not to stress the chameleon up too much on the way there. I put mine in a box with holes and a pole in the middle and he pretty much slept the whole time. If yours has been falling I’d put the stick very close to the bottom and something to cushion him on the bottom just in case.

Hoping someone can offer you some help. I'm currently going through a bad situation, and the forums are deserted, leaving me to watch my girl helplessly die.

The only thing I can offer is to give him pedialyte, a few drops every other hour during the day until your vet appointment. Hopefully you'll get some more useful advice soon. Good luck friend.

Thanks so much! That's one thing I don't know about, pedialyte. Can you use normal human pedialyte, from WalMart or something? Where and what is your forum on your cham called?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom