Wide Spectrum Antibiotics?

VinceD

Does anyone have a list or link to a list of commonly used antibiotics and other medications for chams? I don't have access to a exotic or reptile vet so I am kind of flying by the seat of my pants should something unfortunate happen to my chams.

Right now my baby veiled may have some eye damage due to his lighting and/or exposure to direct tropical sunlight over the weekend. His cage is a 3' all screen, 2 hibiscus, 5.0 uvb tube. The weather here is high 80's-90 daytime to high 70's night with high humidity almost constantly, I mist at least 3 times a day. I sat him outside where the full morning sunlight is directly on the cage being as my senegal absolutely thrived and grew like crazy when I put him outdoors. The veiled has been keeping his eyes mostly closed since Monday after I brought him back inside due to the heat. He has been eating because all of the crickets are gone from his cage and he is taking normal poops with white urea. He is just having trouble with his eyes as far as I can tell. No mucus or wheezing, normal colors not as active as usual but of course he's having trouble seeing. I've noticed he likes to hang upside down directly under the UV bulb, perhaps this contributed to the problem. Has anyone had similar problems from the cham being too close to the tube type bulbs?

Eating gutloaded crickets and field sweep insects (mostly small grasshoppers and butterflies) from a pesticide free area. My other lizards also eat the exact same diet and have had zero problems. Calcium dusted crickets a few times a week, I've given multivitamins only once in the 2 weeks I have had him since the wild caught insects I believe contain most of the nutrients that may be deficient in the crickets.

Last edited:
Considered giving your cham a shower...?It may help to soothe and clear out whatever is irritating the eye.

Hope that helps and good luck

OPI

Wow EXTREMELY helpful links! Yes I've given him a few showers and tried a warm water soak just in case he was impacted a little bit. The problem is without a vet to do tests it's extremely difficult to pinpoint exactly what's going on.

Are there any places to order any test kits? Say parasite kits for instance?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a dosage schedule for Terramycin ointment? I can't find anything specific to chameleons or lizards in general. The closest I've found is for livestock which recommends 3-4 times daily. I have a feeling this might be too much for chams. Thanks.

I would go with 1-2x a day.... I know some other members of the forum that have microscopes and do their own fecal floats. The Understanding Reptile Parasites book by Roger J. Klingenberg D.M.V. makes identifying them much easier. I personally picked up a $25 Intel Play microscope that hooks to your computer and measures 10X 60X and 100X (which are low for what we are trying to do). Do you think your guy has a parasite load?
Search the forums and a few threads kinda explain how to do it. I'll see if I can link you ;)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/fyi-fecals-7819/index2.html
Sorry I (or know one else) mentioned it before, but seems to me that you may be dealing with photo-karato-conjunctivitis:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Last edited:
We also rescue chams and have a tortoise rescue and sanctuary and deal with eye problems all the time. There is a product that is readily available at large pet stores that we use often in case where there is just a little irratation in the eye and not infection. It is called Turtle Eye Drops. It isn't very expensive, just a few bucks, and doesn't have anything in it that would irritate the eye in case there are bigger issues involved, just water, vitamin a in a liquid form and vitamin b. It certainly is not a "cure" of anykind but it does seem to help if they just have gotten something in it or just an irritation. Good luck.

Debby

I was thinking it could be photo-karato-conjunctivitis at first but he's been about the same for 2 weeks now. From what I've read it usually clears up in about a week(?) It started with one eye closed then he had both shut after a day or two. I gave him a small amount of beta carotene Thursday night, but now I'm seeing that they might not be able to convert it into Vit A. There's no discharge from the eyes but they do seem to be bothering him. He rubs them after showers or misting, in fact he started out by rubbing them before they got so bad. He'll open them for a little while but mostly walks around kind of blind. He's eating a little bit but nowhere near normal. I put a small dab of terramycin in each eye after a shower last night. It looks like it had no effect as of this morning.

That little microscope looks cool! Might have to pick one up. There is a slight chance he picked up some parasites from wild caught grasshoppers. I have 3 other lizards (including a senegal cham) and they have shown zero problems. The senegal is WC but he's a hoss, growing super fast and with a great "personality".

The veiled is CB BUT I don't know what kind of supplementation he was getting before I got him, maybe there wasn't enough Vit A given. He had a sister in the same batch at the reptile store, when I went in there a few days ago she was sitting with her eyes closed as well. Maybe the same thing is effecting both of them. Stumped at this point. Thank you for all the help! This is the main source of my "troubleshooting" information. :)

Pics added, they're dark because the exposure on my cam. He wasn't that dark looking in person. Also the small amount of red on his chin is beta carotene. Sorry if the pics are too gigantor...
veiled1.jpg

veiled3.jpg

veiled2.jpg

veiledenclosure.jpg

Back
Top Bottom