why

heavenlilly

i have a 6 month old panther chameleon he is drinking fine very active shedding fine enjoys being misted had he for 3 months now he seem to be doing really well except for 1 thing he is a really lazy eater if i wait for him to eat i'm lucky if he will eat 1 worm cricket cockroach ever few days but if i put food in his mouth he will eat lots until he refuses and spits them out he opens his mouth easily for me to put the food in than go up his tree to eat it then comes down for me to put more in his mouth is he just lazy or is something wrong

Attachments

• nrw3.jpg
    nrw3.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 159
My veiled does the same thing too! I wonder what happen to him...I have to put food in his mouth, and he will eat a lot, but other time his will not hunt for himself...It has been almost half year since i have to feed him by hand...other than that he is doing good.

Welcome to the forum!
You are wise to ask questions and learn as much as possible, so you can help your cham to be healthy and have a good life with you.

A "lazy" cham is likely to be a cham with a medical problem.
As Tanner Grisak asked, is your cham's tongue extending far enough to catch his own food?

It is common to find out that the care instructions given when we bought our chams weren't complete or were wrong and as a result, the chams developed problems or became ill.
The good news is that chams can often improve if things are corrected or treated without delay.

It is best if you cut and paste the questions from https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ and then add your answers, and we can let you know if anything isn't quite right for your cham.

Vicky, I would recommend that you start a new thread and also fill in the help form to be sure there isn't some MBD or other problem going on with your cham.

He catches his food fine when he feels like it but he will only eat 1 thing than can't be bothered do you think he could just be lazy

He catches his food fine when he feels like it but he will only eat 1 thing than can't be bothered do you think he could just be lazy

No, I don't.

Nutritional deficiencies/imbalances can show as difficulty extending the tongue fully.

What your cham does is unusual.

I'm pretty lazy myself but I'm never too lazy to eat nor should a cham be.

My suspicion is that something is amiss.

As mentioned before, you can fill in the help q&a to receive more informed opinions, since it is really just guesswork otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom