Why you should supervise chams outside....

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Once upon a time, a grumpy chameleon we will refer to as slick bastard, was brought out to his free range plant (picture one). Slick bastard usually stays still, and is in the same vicinity when checked on every 15 minutes. But slick bastard had some other plans in mind. Slick decided to wait until he was checked on, and move bushes. Slick Bastard decided to climb onto the top of an 11 foot bush.... ( picture 2) When an oblivious member of his staff came out to check on him, he was nowhere to be found. The staff member took a ladder and went on the roof to get a better view... Where he saw Mr. Slick on top of said 11 foot bush. So the member of Slick's staff decided to spray mr. slick with the hose, thinking he would get down from the bush. Slick did not budge, seeing his lackey at the bottom. After 15 minutes of spraying, I decided to try and shake the branches on top of him so he would go down... Yes, I shook the branches on top of where he was located (sorry petr) and he decided to go down.

So yeah, watch your chams.

The second pic shows both bushes. He went from the bush on the right to the top of the bush at the end of the driveway.... in 15 minutes.

Attachments

• HOUDINI1.JPG
    HOUDINI1.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 93
  • HOUDINI2.JPG
    HOUDINI2.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 87
I have a smaller, portable enclosure for when I take my cham out for some sun. I'm terrified a bird will swoop in and eat him alive. I don't know if only a rpator would do this but I do know the crows around here are large, fearless and cunning.

These guys are ninjas and they know when you aren't looking. Glad you thought of the roof to look for him. Smart staff member.

so true... I swear that Charlie plays Red Light : Green Light with me outside. Look at him... he freezes and just looks adorable. Turn my head.... he takes two steps down the tree. Look at him! Freezes. Turn away... and twinkle toes is running down the tree.

He knows exactly what he is doing... and when I come closer to give him crap about it, he scurries back up where he is supposed to be.

I have a smaller, portable enclosure for when I take my cham out for some sun. I'm terrified a bird will swoop in and eat him alive. I don't know if only a rpator would do this but I do know the crows around here are large, fearless and cunning.

I worry about the same thing. If my guys aren't in their outdoor enclosures, I am standing within a foot or so of the tree. Even then, I have the tree under a trellis tunnel covered with bird netting, so no one can swoop down brazenly. There's almost always a hawk out circling on a nice day, and as you said, crows and other large birds may take a chance, too.

I agree with you folks. At my age, etc., I'm not as fast as I used to be; every critter out there is faster than me! ...And I can't fly either... :rolleyes: Crows, owls, hawks, falcons, & big-ass turkey buzzards...

It's an outdoor enclosure or nothing for my guy, when I get him. ?

I agree with you folks. At my age, etc., I'm not as fast as I used to be; every critter out there is faster than me! ...And I can't fly either... :rolleyes: Crows, owls, hawks, falcons, & big-ass turkey buzzards...

It's an outdoor enclosure or nothing for my guy, when I get him. ?
You don't have a cham yet?

Chameleons are so smart. I feel I see mine understanding my patterns and he has escaped a few times. They are smart like birds but lack the wings for quick escape. Mine falls from the table because he think he can fly and its the only way out.

Good story with a good ending.

Back
Top Bottom