Why won't they mate?

HarleyGirl

Is there a particular setup I need to get them to mate? I have a 1-year-old female and a 2-year-old male panther cham. and they will not mate. I tried getting him to look in the mirror before seeing her. I got her to go in his cage. Sometimes I put them together first thing in the morning, sometimes later in the day. I have kept them in for short periods and also for over a day another time. She originally got his attention when they first met, but just when I think they are getting closer together they just walk over one another to the other side of the cage. She just goes and eats his food and he looks like he doesn't care to be in there with her. He sometimes comes to the door like he "wants out". Has anyone ever heard of 2 cham's that just don't seem to want to mate?
She had her last clutch in December, but they were no good, since she still has not mated yet. I have had her since she was about 6 months old and she has had 2 or 3 clutches so far (all between June of last year until December).
What can I do to get them to mate? I really want them to have little ones.

Whoa, 3 clutches in the last 6 months? Why would you want to breed her so soon afterwards? Maybe she's trying to tell you that she's just not feeling up to it... I certainly wouldn't recommend breeding her right now, especially if she's showing no interest.

We have a male veiled that I’m 100% convinced is gay. That’s the only explanation I can think of. We’ve got a girl who practically throws herself at him, and he couldn’t care less. In fact, he gets hissy if she won’t take no for an answer. Seriously, I don’t know what his major malfunction is.

We have a male veiled that I’m 100% convinced is gay. That’s the only explanation I can think of. We’ve got a girl who practically throws herself at him, and he couldn’t care less. In fact, he gets hissy if she won’t take no for an answer. Seriously, I don’t know what his major malfunction is.

What approaches have you tried? I think traditionally the female is placed in the male's enclosure. But that doesn't always work. We have one male veiled who wouldn't show mating interest unless he was placed in the female's cage. Any time I put the female in his cage, all he saw was an intruder. Some breeders place them in a neutral area.

Both are in a 24” X 24” X 36” enclosure with a homemade divider between them. When she gets her horny colors, we remove the barrier and just leave them alone with some New Age jazz playing in the background. She goes over to him and makes herself real obvious. He basically ignores her, but if she gets too persistent he opens up a big ‘ol can of whupass on her. He’ll even grab her by her casque and try to fling her around like a rag doll. Here’s video:

If a female isn't receptive, the male will ignore her, and it sounds to me like she REALLY shoudn't be breeding. 2 or three clutches in a six month period probably means that she needs to slow it down a little. I would give her more time, and DO NOT force her into breeding. You could be causing her a lot of stress which will ultimately lead to her untimely death. So many clutches of eggs can do the same thing.
Is there a particular setup I need to get them to mate? I have a 1-year-old female and a 2-year-old male panther cham. and they will not mate. I tried getting him to look in the mirror before seeing her. I got her to go in his cage. Sometimes I put them together first thing in the morning, sometimes later in the day. I have kept them in for short periods and also for over a day another time. She originally got his attention when they first met, but just when I think they are getting closer together they just walk over one another to the other side of the cage. She just goes and eats his food and he looks like he doesn't care to be in there with her. He sometimes comes to the door like he "wants out". Has anyone ever heard of 2 cham's that just don't seem to want to mate?
She had her last clutch in December, but they were no good, since she still has not mated yet. I have had her since she was about 6 months old and she has had 2 or 3 clutches so far (all between June of last year until December).

Have you tried showing him another female?

Cage set up

My question for you is can your chams see eachother from their individual terrariums? because if they can see eachother all the time they will have no interest in eachother.If they can see eachother either through a terrarium divider or even from across the room try seperating them for a while and then try mating again. Also if she has has 3 clutches so close apart...I would be concerned she would be pretty stressed out having another clutch now...maybe you could wait even though its excited to have fertile eggs, the likely hood of the eggs hatching are better if you were to wait other wise you may have a bunch of bad eggs that will not hatch.
good luck and feel free to write me a message with any other q's you have

I would say do not breed her right now unless you want to have her have a very short life. Even as a breeder i will not mate my females like that , they mean too much to me. I'm not saying yours don't, you probably don't realize how hard having clutches can be on a female. Personally i would give her more time to recoup and get back to full strength before you try mating her again. That way you also have a better chance of having her lay a good clutch of fetile eggs and her doing well through the process. Just my opinion.

Debby

Thanks for all the replies. That's why I am asking you guys. I had no idea that 2 clutches (i double checked the calendar and it was 2 clutches - one in June and one in December) over the 6 month period was a lot. None were fertile, since she is a virgin. It was just strange that all of a sudden BOOM another clutch was laid in December. I didn't expect that. So the last time was in December. She had about 20 eggs.
To answer the rest of the questions:
-she is actually a really nice peach colour lately
-they do NOT stay in the same room. They have separate cages in separate rooms
-no, i have not tried to mate him with another female yet

Out of curiosity, how long should I wait after having one clutch to breed her??
What would be the safest time period for her to fully get her strength back, because I do not want her life shortened. I just want to enjoy my chameleons and possibly have them breed in the future.

What color is she? Does she hiss or gape at the male? Lunge at him?

No she does not do that. She did that once but I took her out right away that day. Other than that, it was mostly just her going to the food and eating his crickets/worms (whatever was there that day) and ignoring him and he just ignored her too.

I have exact same prob man I'm.sure my new boy is a bender haha

Washoe wrote: "When she gets her horny colors, ..."
How do "horny colours" look like? I have a friendly and willing male but a defensive and aggressive female - how do I get the timing right to put them together?

Washoe wrote: "When she gets her horny colors, ..."
How do "horny colours" look like? I have a friendly and willing male but a defensive and aggressive female - how do I get the timing right to put them together?
Horny colours for a typical female vieled is either staying the light green colour or the light green colour with light blue n orange dots, and calm accepting behaviour sometimes even flirty, but if she goes the dark green almost black with the light blue n orange or sometimes yellow dots n starts hissing rocking side to side n opens her mouth to bite then she is not receptive, both mine are behaving receptive but I have the opposite problem, my male don't seem.to know what to do once he gets to the part where he puts his arm on her back, n then gets bored nnwalks off eventually lol!? There both just over a year n a half old so they should both be ready n instinctively know what to do by now but he seems to just be a bit on the dumb or shy side lol!?

Last edited:
Don't know if you noticed this thread is from 2008
Yea but I had to find a relivant thread to post on coz for some reason I can't post new threads wer I'm new on here? Thanks tho I am aware of that just thought someone may see this n offer advice when it came back up in the new posts section..

Back
Top Bottom