Why isnt my male interested in my female??

I have had my male ambilobe for about 2 years now and my intentions are to breed him but im having some troubles. My female is alittle over a year old and showing receptive colors however when i introduce the two he doesnt seem interested. He will initially fire up but then begins to open his mouth and gape almost at aggressive towards her when she gets near him. He gets the black stripes on his eye turrets but thise seem to fade away after they have been in the same cage for some time. My female is definitely receptive infact she shows more interest than he does but im stumped. Can anyone with experience help me out? Ive tried putting him in her cage, her in his cage and putting them both in a neutral location amd still nothing happens. Ive tried showing him a mirror several times hoping that would maybe get him aggressive but it doesnt seem to phase him. I have bred my lateralis a couple times and it was easy, my male was eager once he saw my female but for some reason my panther is a different story

I'm having the same problem with my male panther. I've tried everything myself. I know there is older posts out there but nothing recent. I hope you find a fix. Please keep us posted.

The solution for me was.....another female :(. I tried for 2.5 months earlier this year to breed Bort to Frija. He would get as far as mount her then nothing. I picked @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and two other breeders brains privately as to what they thought may have been the problem. General consensus at that time was if he mounted her there should be no reason he didn't complete the deed. Now, before he mounted her he spent several minutes having what I would call an "abusive relationship" in human terms before mounting her. Like humans fighting then pulling the owe baby I'm so sorry crap. Due to this I was only trying once every week or two during that time frame. After the 2.5 month mark despite being told to keep trying every couple of weeks I made the decision to stop with them.

About two months later I picked up Idunn with the intention of keeping her back until Odin is ready but Bort saw her this past Sunday and that was all it took. He fired his head up more then he ever has before with me so I let him attempt to do the deed with her. He proceeded to be a "gentlecham" and do his little dance without the "abuse" he showed towards Frija and now I'm looking forward to a hopefully viable Bort x Idunn clutch. So long story short, your female may just not "be attractive" to him for what ever reason.

How long do you leave them together after his aggression begins?

I have no intention of hijacking this thread. I just wanted to say I took my female out almost immediately because I was worried about her getting hurt. I got another male because I thought if my male seen another male maybe he would be more willing to breed. My male seen the other one and puffed up but I haven't tried introducing the female again yet.

I have had my male ambilobe for about 2 years now and my intentions are to breed him but im having some troubles. My female is alittle over a year old and showing receptive colors however when i introduce the two he doesnt seem interested. He will initially fire up but then begins to open his mouth and gape almost at aggressive towards her when she gets near him. He gets the black stripes on his eye turrets but thise seem to fade away after they have been in the same cage for some time. My female is definitely receptive infact she shows more interest than he does but im stumped. Can anyone with experience help me out? Ive tried putting him in her cage, her in his cage and putting them both in a neutral location amd still nothing happens. Ive tried showing him a mirror several times hoping that would maybe get him aggressive but it doesnt seem to phase him. I have bred my lateralis a couple times and it was easy, my male was eager once he saw my female but for some reason my panther is a different story
i heard that a seasonal variation( cooling and humidity change) for a while encourages them to breed. i know a dormancy period works for most reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom