Why is my veiled chameleon grey?

I just have the typical beige wall and cream curtians outside his enclosure, enough to give him some privacy. He's mad at me right now after he took his little fall I held him pretty much against his will to check his ribs, crest, and legs to make sure he had no internal or external injuries.

He is a healthy little boy and he eats like a pig. He's spoiled rotten.

It could be stress related. It seems you are doing everything right though so I couldn't imagine what he is stressed about. Assuming the color is before the fall. A woman my mom works with had a chameleon turn grey and they took it to the vet and it had a broken leg and spine. They couldn't tell by looking. Not trying to scare you but it may be a good time to get established with a good reptile vet. I'll be taking my boy in soon for his first check up.

There was also something I saw on these forums about a member buying a panther cham that was white. After having it for a while with the prober uvb he regained color. Has yours always been grey?

Nope, but then again I have not had him very long at all. He shows his true colors when he comes out of the enclosure and when he sleeps just not when he's in the enclosure.

These are his night colors if you can see them. He's got blue bars and a limey green color with some light brown speckeling

Attachments

• 20140208_181547.jpg
    20140208_181547.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 222
Yea I can tell he is green in that picture. Maybe he is still adjusting. Just taking him a while. What's the humidity at usually?

FYI my Veiled is the same color and reacts the same, take him out and he's brilliant and put him in and he's grey. Funny thing is, when he was in a smaller cage he was more colorful. I moved him to a bigger cage and he went grey. The only thing that changed was the location of his cage. It is now in a busier area of the house.

Go figure:confused:

FYI my Veiled is the same color and reacts the same, take him out and he's brilliant and put him in and he's grey. Funny thing is, when he was in a smaller cage he was more colorful. I moved him to a bigger cage and he went grey. The only thing that changed was the location of his cage. It is now in a busier area of the house.

Go figure:confused:

Chams don't like a lot of movement around their places of living. It is probably stressing him out. I would move him back to a less busy area.

I'm ruling out humidity, food, water, and heat as possible reasons for him to be grey. He is in a low traffic area with tons of privacy and he doesn't have any stressors other than being in a new home with a new set up and a new sleep routine. I'm starting to think he's more than definitely just getting used to his new home.

Back
Top Bottom