Why is my veiled chameleon grey?

TiyahLove

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled/male/3 months old/ almost two weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once a day if he wants out of his enclosure.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets and roach nymphs about 15-20 a day (he hasn't eaten today because he's more focused on shedding)
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium without d3 every day, herptivite the first day of the month, and repti calcium the 20th of every month.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a dripper and hand watering via syringe. I mist for about 30-45 seconds 4-5 times during the day. Yes I see him drink.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Firm but soft and medium brown. Not tested yet
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 24L, 24W, 54h
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? No lights at night, during the day I use a fluorescent tube for UVB I think it's a 5.0 or a 10.0? And a CHE or a zoo med 100watt basking bulb.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is 85-90, under foliage is about 74 and floor is 70. I use a temp gun and several probes throughout the enclosure.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I spray several times a day and have a couple live plants in the enclosure and a humidifier in the room. I use a hygrometer in the middle and top of the enclosure.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Ficus and hibiscus
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my reptile room away from vents or fans or high traffic. The top of the cage is about 6 feet from my floor.
Location - Where are you geographically located? North Carolina

Current Problem - My chameleon has been very grey and I associated it with him shedding,but now his shedding is all said and done he still looks the same. Could it be because he is new or not used to his new enclosure yet?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled/male/3 months old/ almost two weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once a day if he wants out of his enclosure.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets and roach nymphs about 15-20 a day (he hasn't eaten today because he's more focused on shedding)
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium without d3 every day, herptivite the first day of the month, and repti calcium the 20th of every month.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a dripper and hand watering via syringe. I mist for about 30-45 seconds 4-5 times during the day. Yes I see him drink.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Firm but soft and medium brown. Not tested yet
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 24L, 24W, 54h
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? No lights at night, during the day I use a fluorescent tube for UVB I think it's a 5.0 or a 10.0? And a CHE or a zoo med 100watt basking bulb.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is 85-90, under foliage is about 74 and floor is 70. I use a temp gun and several probes throughout the enclosure.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I spray several times a day and have a couple live plants in the enclosure and a humidifier in the room. I use a hygrometer in the middle and top of the enclosure.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Ficus and hibiscus
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my reptile room away from vents or fans or high traffic. The top of the cage is about 6 feet from my floor.
Location - Where are you geographically located? North Carolina

Current Problem - My chameleon has been very grey and I associated it with him shedding,but now his shedding is all said and done he still looks the same. Could it be because he is new or not used to his new enclosure yet?

How about a picture? Hard to imagine just what you mean.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,530
I'm also thinking my temps may be a little to high in the basking area. He seems to make a "huff" every now and again, he's still young so I assume he hasn't gotten the hang of moving from the basking site to thermoregulate, I'm going to drop the basking spot back to 80-85 again because 90 seems to bee too much for him at the moment I don't want him having trouble from heat exhaustion.

This is the most color I have seen on him awake. He isn't completely grey, but all of his colors are almost grey.

Attachments

• 1392123373149.jpg
    1392123373149.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,041
He looks at least 4-5 months old to me. Try raising his basking perch just ... maybe an inch or two. Raise the temp a wee bit.

Also try misting him with warm water, try feeding him different bugs that are safe...

I agree that he looks a older than 3 months- I would say SaintJimmy is on the mark at 4-5 months. I keep my young veiled a little lower than my adult panther- I can always tell when I need to up the temp, my guy hangs on the screen closer to the light. As for the color- my 6 month old veiled displays a dull brown/grey in response to stressors like my dog walking into the room. This would just be a guess but he may need more time to get used to you and his new digs.

He hatched out 11-2-13 and the breeder sent an image of one of his clutch mates that is almost double mines size. As for raising temps, I did then he starting huffing because he was getting to hot ( and not moving to the very accessible cool floor!) so I dropped it back down to 85.'he has a wide verity of food that I forgot to mention those are just staple foods for the time being. He eats super worms, horn worms, and locust. He gets a warm water spray daily and his enclosure misted about every 30-45 minutes.

I am having a hard time seeing the pics clearly but the 2nd picture looked like the barring was male to me- and if the cham is 4 months, isn't the casque too big for a female? I am not the sexing expert though- since I have never had a female cham I would have to see the back feet. Hopefully an expert will chime in on the sex and color.

I am having a hard time seeing the pics clearly but the 2nd picture looked like the barring was male to me- and if the cham is 4 months, isn't the casque too big for a female? I am not the sexing expert though- since I have never had a female cham I would have to see the back feet. Hopefully an expert will chime in on the sex and color.

The barring is definitely male...

Unless you can get a pic of the back feet.

Yes, the males have spurs. I looked at your pics in the identification section and I am going to say male. That side shot shows clear barring. He is also smaller that he looked in the other 2 pics you had here so he does look like he is 3 1/2 months old. Cute little guy! Mine had a month or so period that he was showing more browns- at 5 months his yellow and teal started coming out.

He's a sweetheart. Every time I go near his enclosure he stands on his back feet and waits for me to put my hand in the enclosure so he can climb out and perch on my shoulder. He decided to be a little monkey earlier and hang by his tail to grab a cricket, he missed and lost his grip. He fell a good 4 feet to the cage floor. Checked him over and made sure no broken bones. He will be okay right? I know in the wild it's their natural instinct to puff up when they fall. I always worry to much over stuff like this. He just climbed right back up and got in his basking spot. He should be okay right?

He's a sweetheart. Every time I go near his enclosure he stands on his back feet and waits for me to put my hand in the enclosure so he can climb out and perch on my shoulder. He decided to be a little monkey earlier and hang by his tail to grab a cricket, he missed and lost his grip. He fell a good 4 feet to the cage floor. Checked him over and made sure no broken bones. He will be okay right? I know in the wild it's their natural instinct to puff up when they fall. I always worry to much over stuff like this. He just climbed right back up and got in his basking spot. He should be okay right?

Mine fell once or twice -- everyone gives you the same advice. Just make sure he acts okay and if he acts funny take him to the vet. Usually they puff up when they fall so there is less damage. I wouldn't worry about a fall until he starts acting weird or shows bruising.

Anyway he might be grey just because he is naturally dull, maybe?

Mine was greyish and ugly for a while when I kept him in a cage that was too small because I had to wait for shipping of a new cage. He also was dull and ugly for a while when he was grumpy.

He shows really bright night time colors and he gets really bright when he is out of his enclosure. I think he's still getting used to his enclosure, and I think he likes free ranging more.

From the Looks of it you have a healthy little boy.. I have a question for you??? What color is the backing of your cage. Do you have more darker colors than you do Green?? Like branches etc... I've been working with Veiled for a while now and I have seen a lot of breeds that have a darker complexion. I also read several articles and books on the veiled species and I do remember that the male veiled does carry a darker color until adult stages. To me he looks healthy. My male has a dull complexion. He's had it his whole life. I understand where it can get complicated to understand there moods sometimes. But I wouldn't worry as long as he is eating and drinking and keeping his strength. He is what he is Lol..... Maybe your giving him a complex..... Lol:D

Back
Top Bottom