Why is my chameleon doing this? (video included)

It should be ok for temporal gland infections...but the gland needs to be cleaned out if there is bacteria there. Their pus is too thick for the medication to penetrate as a rule. Is that what's going on..temporal gland infection?

@Mendez ...can you please describe what she's doing in the video?
It's a long time for her not to have had her babies IMHO.

I guess it can be used for temporal gland infections? I'm not familiar with this antibiotic. Or really any other medication for TGIs. So I'll defer to the experts such as @Action Jackson
it is used for tgis...
It should be ok for temporal gland infections...but the gland needs to be cleaned out if there is bacteria there. Their pus is too thick for the medication to penetrate as a rule. Is that what's going on..temporal gland infection?

@Mendez ...can you please describe what she's doing in the video?
It's a long time for her not to have had her babies IMHO.
they can wait till up to a year, its been done many times. Its a Jacksons chameleon.... Ive cleaned out the bacteria. Its a TGI LIKE IVE SAID

I'm aware it's a Jackson's chameleon.
Are you a vet?
How do you know how to clean it out.
Have you bred them for long?

Last edited:
this was screen shots of video- for those that video will not work for (They are all different pics) (y)
Hope it works..
She does look very gravid if a close look near her hind end.
Can you share a few pics before taking her to vet and a few when you got her? This will help some see the progress of the possible problem.
Thanks!

Attachments

• znoInfY_Moment.jpg
    znoInfY_Moment.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 55
  • znoInfY_Moment 2.jpg
    znoInfY_Moment 2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 42
  • znoInfY_Moment 3.jpg
    znoInfY_Moment 3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 41
  • znoInfY_Moment 4.jpg
    znoInfY_Moment 4.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 48
Thanks @redhorse for posting the photos...that's what I expected to see her doing.

Holding her head up with her mouth open like that may mean she's having trouble breathing....could be because she's full of babies....could be that she's aspirated water into her lungs....could be organ damage or pressure on the organs from the babies. I have no solution to it.

If the gland infection is causing her pain, she might not want to use her tongue.

I looked at photos of her in a previous thread and I could see that she had a TGI in them.
TGI's are hard to get rid of. The usual bacteria involved is pseudomonas....and it's an opportunist.

Hopefully she will have her babies soon. I've never heard of a Jackson's going a year...but maybe it's possible. It's usually 6 to 10 months.

• Your Chameleon - Female jacksons chameleon, about two yesrs old and has been in mt care for two months
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - I Feed my cham dubia roaches, horn worms, crickets, and rarely meal worms. I feed her 4-5 or until she wont eat anymore. About every other day, or every 2 days, but lately she hasnt been taking much. I gut load them with carrots and sweet potatos
  • Supplements - Ive only used D3 once with her, and calcium without D3 once every week or two.@jacksjill has a tried and tested supplement regime, but using calcium “every week or two” is likely not enough. Ive used vitamins once with her, and the vet gave her a vitamen shot.It would be helpful to pick a reliable Jackson’s supplement regime, and stick to it. When there are health concerns, the last thing you need is to compound the problem with inconsistent supplements.
  • Watering - I use a water drip method because its the absolute only way i can get her to drink unless i spray it into her mouth, and i spray a fake plant in her enclosure a little bit every day Drinking water is only a part of hydration.
  • Fecal Description - Last time she peed it only had a little brown Can you clarify? , but her hydration has dropped What do you mean by “her hydration has dropped?”
  • History - she had babies a year ago and got bred again 9 months ago but still hasn't had babies

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage, 18x18x36
  • Lighting - T5 HO 5.0 on from 8am-9pm
  • Temperature - using a heat gun i check daily and the temps are 80 at the HIGHEST in the basking spot during rhe day and about 65 at night
  • Humidity - 70% humidity on the low, but usually 80-90%Is this all the time, or just at night?
  • Plants - fake plants This is an area you could take to the next level.
  • Placement - cage is located in the corner, on a table and by a vent but the vent has a cover that blows the air the opposite way
  • Location - Ohio

Just looked it up. Stand for "Trimethoprim / Sulfamethoxazole." It's a combination of antibiotics.
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-64007/smz-tmp-ds-oral/details
I am not a vet, scientist or expert. I know a little bit about chameleon history. When drugs like ponazuril came on the scene, keepers jumped for joy because the “savage sulfas” were very hard on chameleons, and not all that effective against Coccidia, since they are antibiotics.

Maybe your vet did a culture and concluded that this antibiotic combo would be most effective against the particular bacteria in question. But if not, it’s worthwhile asking him/her why s/he chose this medication rather than others.

it is used for tgis...

they can wait till up to a year, its been done many times. Its a Jacksons chameleon.... Ive cleaned out the bacteria. Its a TGI LIKE IVE SAID
See my other comments, but Enro and Cephtaz are also prescribed for TGIs. Did you, by any chance, have a culture done?

For those that can't view the video she is doing a wide mouth gasp and a nearly full body undulation. There are two more common possibilities because of her history of TGI i would suspect respiratory infection. The other possibility is that she is about to shed. I would not bank on that because you know she has a current infection. Advanced pregnancy is a possibility but again I would go with what is known.
I avoid the use of Enrofloxacin or Baytril and hold it out for a last resort (that is me working with my veterinarian). It is hard on the kidneys of animals that are dehydrated. It is effective and vets will use it when they don't think they will see the patient again and think they only have one shot at it or only have access to it.
Not knowing the dilution you were given I can't judge the volume of the dose. Is it possible the dose is 0.05ml? Not that it matters I'm sure they showed you how much to give on the syringe.

JMHO- This is a wonderful thinking issue and learning experience. if this is SO off-- Please delete (y)
Correct me if I am wrong (would not be the first time :unsure: ).

Only connected snakes and chameleons respiratory issues now (slow learner).

Gaping does not mean they are breathing, since they breathe through their nose and glottis (like a snake). But gaping when sick does mean they are trying to open an airway (right?) Since, they do it for yawning, display aggression etc..... and not for breathing.

This would be the reason they don't drink but lick their water since it is absorbed through their digestive system (yes over thinking things now but maybe it will help).

So, if there are issues with tongue (mentioned not working above) or nasal cavities they will struggle to get in oxygen.
This is what I am not sure about.. If they are opening their mouth, this only inflates their digestive system in hope to draw in oxygen through nose or glottis. Am I over thinking this? Sorry if it is off track.

Putting more together and thinking through this.

Then the wheezing we might be hearing is the oxygen coming back out the mouth from digestive track and not lungs (as I have thought for many years).
But if there is a respiratory infection or pneumonia then we also would hear wheezing.
If this is true- Maybe the meds can cause stress (her colors show) and not allowing oxygen in.
There is also the gravid issue.

Remember--- delete if I am off track..

For those that can't view the video she is doing a wide mouth gasp and a nearly full body undulation. There are two more common possibilities because of her history of TGI i would suspect respiratory infection. The other possibility is that she is about to shed. I would not bank on that because you know she has a current infection. Advanced pregnancy is a possibility but again I would go with what is known.
I avoid the use of Enrofloxacin or Baytril and hold it out for a last resort (that is me working with my veterinarian). It is hard on the kidneys of animals that are dehydrated. It is effective and vets will use it when they don't think they will see the patient again and think they only have one shot at it or only have access to it.
Not knowing the dilution you were given I can't judge the volume of the dose. Is it possible the dose is 0.05ml? Not that it matters I'm sure they showed you how much to give on the syringe.
oh yeah its .05 shoot sorry!! i forgot haha

Back
Top Bottom