Why is my cham sick?

peridot

I posted a few days ago about my cham making a weird noise at night. He went in last month for his yearly checkup and everything was good (including bloodwork).

He’s going in today for repeat bloodwork to see if anything is changed and to be checked over, but my vet has already talked to me about possibly doing antibiotics (Fortaz).

Am I doing something wrong? Did I cause this?

Here is our setup:

Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon, had since August of 2018. Unsure of age.

Feeding - Super Worms, wax worms, horn worms, silk worms. I gut load with Turnips, Carrots, Dandelion, Sweat Potato

Supplements - Bee pollen, Repticalcium without D3, Repashy calcium plus (twice a month.)

Watering - I drip him water several times a day over his closed mouth. I drop water onto his lips and let him drink voluntarily. I never force open his mouth, I try to make it drip like a dripper.

He had a mister that went off first thing in the morning and once at night. However, I stoped running the mister because he would turn black and avoid the area it misted.

History - Purchased from PetSmart.

Cage Type - Exoterra, x-large screen enclosure.

I had the taller enclosure, but he never moved around and always stayed in one spot. I switched him over to this wider enclosure and he’s much happier.

Temperature-. He has two thermometers in his cage, one on the warmer side and one on the cooler. The ambient temperature in our house is around 75 to 77
His hot side is usually between 87-90 and the other side is 74-77.
His basking spot is 8.5” away from the basking bulb and is anywhere from 85-91 degrees depending on the spot. I use a heat gun to read it.

Lighting - 100w basking bulb , Arcadia D3 12% UVB T5 Bulb

Humidity - Around 30-40 durning the day. I run his Reptifogger on high at night. Fogger starts around 11pm-12 and runs for a few hours.

Attachments

• A57B1B91-0E91-403D-9109-270811385CFA.jpeg
    A57B1B91-0E91-403D-9109-270811385CFA.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 6CD00329-42DF-48E4-9F7C-5A232A8A975B.jpeg
    6CD00329-42DF-48E4-9F7C-5A232A8A975B.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 0EBF3CA7-7739-41F9-8F96-2B5976D9DE7E.jpeg
    0EBF3CA7-7739-41F9-8F96-2B5976D9DE7E.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi. Dripping water into his mouth is very risky as their airway is in the front of their mouth. If you were putting water directly in his mouth, he may have aspirated it.
When you were misting, were you misting him or around him? That dracaena on the left is what I would be misting.
His hot side is too hot. You need to get your basking temps down to low 80’s...80-82 is perfect.

I posted a few days ago about my cham making a weird noise at night. He’s going in today for bloodwork and to be checked over, but my vet has already talked to me about possibly doing antibiotics (Fortaz).

Am I doing something wrong? Did I cause this?

Here is our setup:

Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon, had since August of 2018. Unsure of age.

Feeding - Super Worms, wax worms, horn worms, silk worms. I gut load with Turnips, Carrots, Dandelion, Sweat Potato

Supplements - Bee pollen, Repticalcium without D3, Repashy calcium plus (twice a month.)

Watering - I drip him water several times a day (dropping water onto his mouth and letting him drink voluntarily). He had a mister that went off first thing in the morning and once at night. However, I stoped running the mister because he would turn black and avoid the area it misted.

History - Purchased from PetSmart.

Cage Type - Exoterra, x-large screen enclosure.

I had the taller enclosure, but he never moved around and always stayed in one spot. I switched him over to this wider enclosure and he’s much happier.

Temperature-. He has two thermometers in his cage, one on the warmer side and one on the cooler. The ambient temperature in our house is around 75 to 77
His hot side is usually between 87-90 and the other side is 74-77.
His basking spot is 8.5” away from the basking bulb and is anywhere from 85-91 degrees depending on the spot. I use a heat gun to read it.

Lighting - 100w basking bulb , Arcadia D3 12% UVB T5 Bulb

Humidity - Around 30-40 durning the day. I run his Reptifogger on high at night. Fogger starts around 11pm-12 and runs for a few hours.

He is obese... you can tell from the puffy cheeks and casque. I have read that the fat that forms in the lower abdomen pushes up on the vital organs. This can cause many issues one of which is ability to breathe. Could be that when he sleeps he is not extending the gular or his body so it is creating the noise? Just a guess though.

How much and how often are you feeding?
Your watering method really is not natural. I would consider putting a dripper on the cage dripping on plants so he can drink when he wants to. Also there is the possibility he aspirated some of the water you were dripping in.
Temps are a bit hot. Really should not be over 85.

Hi. Dripping water into his mouth is very risky as their airway is in the front of their mouth. If you were putting water directly in his mouth, he may have aspirated it.
When you were misting, were you misting him or around him? That dracaena on the left is what I would be misting.
His hot side is too hot. You need to get your basking temps down to low 80’s...80-82 is perfect.

Oh! I’m not dripping into his mouth! I’m dripping onto his lips and he drinks it on his own!

And the mister mister around him... and he absolutely hated it.

He is obese... you can tell from the puffy cheeks and casque. I have read that the fat that forms in the lower abdomen pushes up on the vital organs. This can cause many issues one of which is ability to breathe. Could be that when he sleeps he is not extending the gular or his body so it is creating the noise? Just a guess though.

How much and how often are you feeding?
Your watering method really is not natural. I would consider putting a dripper on the cage dripping on plants so he can drink when he wants to. Also there is the possibility he aspirated some of the water you were dripping in.
Temps are a bit hot. Really should not be over 85.

I don’t drip into his mouth, I drip onto it like the dripper did. I also had a dripper, but he hated that as well. I never force his mouth open and make him drink.

And you think he’s overweight?! I feed him every three days.

I don’t drip into his mouth, I drip onto it like the dripper did. I also had a dripper, but he hated that as well. I never force his mouth open and make him drink.

And you think he’s overweight?! I feed him every three days.
Yes, I do think he is overweight based on your pics. What are you feeding and how much though? Wax worms for adults is not really the best idea as they are all fat.

Yes, I do think he is overweight based on your pics. What are you feeding and how much though? Wax worms for adults is not really the best idea as they are all fat.

I feed super worms, hornworms, and silkworms. For example, yesterday he ate 2 supers and 4 silk worms. He only has wax worms several times a month.

I feed super worms, hornworms, and silkworms. For example, yesterday he ate two supers and 4 silk worms. He only has wax worms several times a month.
Ok so this is where your issue is... Supers really should not be more then 10% of your feeding because they are still high in fat. While silks are much lower in fat they still have a good amount of protein. Feeding 6 feeders is excessive as well... Adults can do quite well on 2-3 feeders 3 days a week. Just something to consider...

Feeder nutrition chart.jpeg

Ok so this is where your issue is... Supers really should not be more then 10% of your feeding because they are still high in fat. While silks are much lower in fat they still have a good amount of protein. Feeding 6 feeders is excessive as well... Adults can do quite well on 2-3 feeders 3 days a week. Just something to consider...

View attachment 277969

My problem is he won’t look at crickets or roaches. What should I do about that?

So, you think the issue could be his weight, since his bloodwork came back normal last month?

My problem is he won’t look at crickets or roaches. What should I do about that?

So, you think the issue could be his weight, since his bloodwork came back normal last month?
It is possible that it has to do with his weight. You can feed silkworms. They are a great feeder.... But it is the amounts and sizes you have to watch.

Is he doing the noise during the day at all? Gaping or tilting his nose up? Do you hear wheezing or popping sounds?

It is possible that it has to do with his weight. You can feed silkworms. They are a great feeder.... But it is the amounts and sizes you have to watch.

Is he doing the noise during the day at all? Gaping or tilting his nose up? Do you hear wheezing or popping sounds?

He isn’t gaping or stargazing. And no thick mucus in his mouth. However, he does seem to be making the popping noise every once in a while during the day.

He isn’t gaping or stargazing. And no thick mucus in his mouth. However, he does seem to be making the popping noise every once in a while during the day.
Then getting him checked for an RI would be a good idea. Just in case.

Back
Top Bottom