Why is my baby chameleon spotted?

Anastasia

When I get him out and let him walk around outside his box he randomly gets little dark spots that go away after a few seconds. Should I be concerned?

Welcome to the forums. What kind of chameleon do you have? Please post a photo of your chameleon and the enclosure.

He's a veiled chameleon, and he's a little over a month old. Currently we're traveling, my granddad bought him while we were visiting and I do not have an enclosure set up yet

Attachments

• IMG_20150806_165217235_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150806_165217235_HDR.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 323
Thank you both for the warm welcome. I'm glad that's normal. Although I'm concerned about my other baby cham, he's been very dark in color all day and he hisses every time something around him moves, any clues? He's generally very friendly, letting me and my sister hold him and preferring to be out and moving rather than in his box, but now he won't let anyone hold him and he's very still

Attachments

• 14392301058082081302928.jpg
    14392301058082081302928.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 232
The spots are normal and being brown can be normal but he might also be stressed. Since you have veileds and I'm a big fan of veileds I have a care sheet attached below for new keepers. When will you be home with them? They need time to get settled in their new home. Chameleons are high maintenance animals and tricky to keep. You have to have their natural environment mimic-ed perfectly to keep them healthy.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

We will be home tonight but the dark colored one is not mine, he's for a friend of mine, and I won't be able to get him to his final home until Wednesday. With their size and age do you think it would be okay to keep them both in a large enclosure together, or should I continue to keep them apart?

Reply to other chameleon

Hey, does the chameleon have any lighting or plants and such. It may be because it has no lighting as on the picture. And how many crickets did you feed him and how often and how do you take him out? And when did this start?

We were traveling at the time, I've got both of them sitting outside in the sun right now, no there's not any plants in the enclosure currently, I got them a few days ago and haven't had time to properly equip their little boxes. I had no forewarning that I was getting them, so I had no time to prepare

You can spend hundreds on a Chameleon setup but you don't have to. You should go online and order them but in your case go to the nearest petco or petsmart when you get back. You can get a screen cage bundle for $120 (that includes the screen cage, lights, feeders, vines) or you can get a glass/screen cage for $40 at petco and get things separately.. You should go for a kit, it includes the cage, lights, feeders, vines. You should get a mister, it's needed, but you can spray them with water 3 to 4 times a day. Ideally you want a mister with a timer.

They're both settled in great now, I've got lamps set up and he's eating 7 crickets a day on average and he seems to be very happy with his setup. I mist the enclosure 3 to 5 times a day and get him out once or twice a day. I got some vines for him to climb around on and a couple of sticks. All in all he seems like a happy little chameleon

Glad he's settled in so nicely after a rocky start, it's always nerve-wracking traveling with one so young especially when they haven't even settled in with you yet XD. As long as everything is up to snuff it sounds like he's going to flourish in your care and be a happy little boy <3 good luck and happy cham <3

He's a veiled chameleon, and he's a little over a month old. Currently we're traveling, my granddad bought him while we were visiting and I do not have an enclosure set up yet

That's what mine looks like when he gets upset. He's probably just adjusting.

Back
Top Bottom