Why does my male hiss at my female

HUBSonDUBS

Established Member
My friend brought his 2yr old female over to mate with my male and he started his head bobbing but the female hissed at him and after that he hissed and chased her out of the cage and now as soon as he sees her he gets all puffed up and hisses at her. Whats going on here?

I am thinking she isn't ready for him and he might be a little young for her. I have heard that panthers can be a bit aggressive when breeding. So don't put her in there if he is being rough and mean.

You got any estimated ages for the male for the Senior Members to tell you if they are ready or not?

The male is 11months old and im still having the same problem. Why would he attack her, they mated on wednesday and thursday and then on friday when i put her in he wanted nothing to do with her a chases her out of his cage trying to bite her.

If you saw the copulate a couple times, wait a week or so and try again. She'll likely reject him. Are you introducing her to his cage, or him to hers?

edit button isnt working. So ill post again.

nvm I saw that you are putting her in his cage. Try it the other way around but monitor closely. Him chasing her out is probably a territorial issue and not that he doesn't want to breed.

I put him in her cage but nothing went on but when i put her in his cage he starts the head bobbing and they mated twice this week. So your saying to wait a week and then try putting her back in the cage to see what happens. Also should I weigh her to see if there is an increase in weight due to eggs?

yeah, try introducing him to her in another week. If she rejects him, let her be, but if she accepts him, let her copulate and then show her to him in another week after that. If she rejects him, keep an eye on her weight and increase her food input. She'll probably be pretty ravenous, so don't offer her to much food because you dont want her to bind up, especially after a few weeks being gravid. I normally feed my gravid females 8 crickets (or insects of equal weight) every day (give or take depends on the female 8 crickets to a ~65g female) when they are gravid, but I maintain the same supplement schedule until after 2 weeks then I bump up the calcium. Some females are more sensitive than others so watch closely for signs of edema. It takes a couple weeks for the calcification to begin on the eggs, but its important to provide her with nutritious food.

obviously the male doesn't like her or want to be with her. don't force them together. just show the female to the male through the cage. if the male seems excited and not threatening the female, try again. do you know what gravid colors to look for?

Yea placing him in her cage did the trick.

Attachments

• fex.jpg
    fex.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom