Why does my chameleons tongue fail to shoot out

many times the tongue is affected by calicum content of the diet like all muscles. Please fill out the https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ so we can evaluate your chameeleon culture.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - male panther chameleon about 5 months im my care for 4 months
  • Handling - rarely as it doesn't like it
  • Feeding - superworms and crickets 8 for crickets 5 for supersworms every day i gut load with apples and carrots
  • Supplements - i use repti calcium no d3 almost every day,reptical d3 once a month,reptivite once a month
  • Watering - i mist the cage down for 30 seconds 4 times a day having a dry time between every mist
  • Fecal Description - look normal with white
  • History - from a breeder not a pet shop

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - reptibreeze 18×18×36
  • Lighting - zoomed 40watt heatbulb and zoomed 5.0 compact uvb turn on at 7:00am and off at 7:00pm
  • Temperature - basking spot stays between 80-90 depending on the weather rest of the cage never drops below 70 during the day at night the temperature never drops below 60 i check with a digital thermometer
  • Humidity - the humidity stays between 46-80 digital humidity gage i keep it that way by misting and using live plants
  • Plants - a live pothose
  • Placement - im my room next to a small window i only keep open during the day when its hot the cage is high off the ground
  • Location - united states southern California

Current Problem - for the past few days he has failed to shoot his tounge when feeding

Sometimes they can injutr their tongue and it gets better with time. The tongue has a bone in it and there are a lot of muscles and ligaments that go into getting that tongue launched. Things happen.

If it's not due to injury, then it's a calcium/d3 issue. I see that you're dusting with calcium at every meal and that's good, but if the calcium cannot be absorbed it's useless; how fresh are your bulbs? And do you take him outside for natural sunlight..? You needed to gut load with more than just apples and carrots. A dark leafy green vegetable like Turnip or Collard greens (to name but a few) should be a stape gut load, as well as some form of grain……..

If it's not due to injury, then it's a calcium/d3 issue. I see that you're dusting with calcium at every meal and that's good, but if the calcium cannot be absorbed it's useless; how fresh are your bulbs? And do you take him outside for natural sunlight..? You needed to gut load with more than just apples and carrots. A dark leafy green vegetable like Turnip or Collard greens (to name but a few) should be a stape gut load, as well as some form of grain……..
I first put the bulb in on December 15 2015 i dont take him out side as he does not like me handling him one time he even jumped off my hand but lucky he landed on a table

Issues of lack of tongue extension can be the result of an injury, infection, calcium imbalance or even dehydration. I have never heard of it being caused by a vitamin A issue....but I'm not a vet.

Back
Top Bottom