Why Distilled Water?

marcsman16

Established Member
I've heard a lot of people talking about giving your cham distilled water or RO water

Won't chams dehydrate with water that has no minerals nor electrolytes?

It seems a little odd to me.

Has someone used this or has any knowledge regarding this topic? Have you had any problems?

Thanks!

Its the fluoride and other additives (ex. calcium buildup). Its not good for anything, reptiles, plants, pumps, goes on

My understanding of it is that if you are using a fogger, mist king or something like it you need the RO or distilled water to make sure they do not get calcium build up etc in the components that is damaging to them...
but someone correct me if I am wrong here.

But what about all the minerals and electrolytes that pure water carries?
Plants can give em nutes ;). Chams get it thru the dusting of feeder, and the food iitself. And if you use any kind of pumps, its not good for them as well. Honestly if you use a mistking or something like that, it will save you a headache.

Plants can give em nutes ;). Chams get it thru the dusting of feeder, and the food iitself. And if you use any kind of pumps, its not good for them as well. Honestly if you use a mistking or something like that, it will save you a headache.
Thanks!
But if I have a filter at home, that eliminates chlorides, fluorides, etc., but maintains all the other minerals that are actually good for him/her?

I've heard a lot of people talking about giving your cham distilled water or RO water

Won't chams dehydrate with water that has no minerals nor electrolytes?

It seems a little odd to me.

Has someone used this or has any knowledge regarding this topic? Have you had any problems?

Thanks!
I use RO in my misters and foggers but use tap water for my dripper for just this reason.

However, we have some of the best tap water in the UK here, coming from the lake district. TDS is only 66ppm.

If I lived down south, I wouldn't use tap water at all.

The mineral water is nice, but I've used distilled and RO without ever having problems. If what necas says is true, they don't drink water all that much anyway and pure rainwater wouldn't have a high mineral content. Doesn't seem to be a concern for chams. Especially if you're dusting.

The RO water is mainly to prevent the mister nozzles from clogging up due to the calcium and other deposits. I am not sure it would cause a health issue by only giving them RO water since I don't know what trace elements would be present in typical rain water. Listening to the chameleon breeder podcasts they say that the trace elements are primarily found in the dust and things that collect on the leaves. These elements are then picked up by the rain water or dew and consumed by the cham as they drink. This has been shown in the Hawaii Jacksons vs the Kenyan Jacksons as they have different elements in the dust some of their horns are deformed in the Hawaii group. I believe a lot of these things are why we give them the multivitamin to ensure they are getting what they need. Calcium would be the big one and (depending on species) they get this every feeding.

Last edited:
The amount of minerals and elecrolytes in drinking water is negligible compared to the amount you get from food.

The last time it was explained to me, drop a pea in a 55 gallon barrel, that is the mineral content(other than calcium/lime/rust) difference from spring water and distilled.

A few other bonuses if you are using cool mist humidifiers:
Stuff doesnt get covered in dust
Said dust doesnt start growing yeast on your stuff

If you have hard water, and run a cool mist all winter, there is a good chance everything in the room will get a cheese smelling coating that will need to be washed away, kind of like an old tool box.

Awesome thread, almost put to bed all I asked.

So I’m looking at getting an auto mister on pay day. But the price of distilled water in the uk is horrendous. How are you not all bankrupt?

Distilled Water 1,5 L (1500ml)/ 100% Pure Steam Distilled Water/ Medical Grade/ Food Grade/ TDS 000 ppm/ BPA Free https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BWJ892X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XCkIDbZWH59X5

£6.99 for 1.5L. Any uk chaps/chapettes can point me in the right direction for cheaper stuff?

So I’m looking at getting an auto mister on pay day. But the price of distilled water in the uk is horrendous. How are you not all bankrupt?

Distilled Water 1,5 L (1500ml)/ 100% Pure Steam Distilled Water/ Medical Grade/ Food Grade/ TDS 000 ppm/ BPA Free https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BWJ892X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XCkIDbZWH59X5

£6.99 for 1.5L. Any uk chaps/chapettes can point me in the right direction for cheaper stuff?

Do you have access to RO water? Maybe buy and RO water filter system to install yourself. The RObuddie is a great little system for the cost.

50 GPD 5 stage RO system on Amazon, about 60 quid. As I keep marine fish as well as reptiles, it's worth it's weight!

Back
Top Bottom