why can't my hibiscus live in the cage if my chameleon can

Hyperpower

I had a hibiscus in my chameleon cage and it was practically dead...now that I've moved it outside its growing back fuller than before.

Is there something wrong with my uvb??

UVB does not grow plants. You need plant bulbs for the plants. 6500k bulbs are what you use usually for plants.
do they give off heat?

and is it safe for the chameleon?

i'm about to go and buy a 24x24x48 cm cage is that a big enough for an adult male veiled?

I have a 6500K CFL sitting on top of my cage and my hibiscus is growing like crazy. In fact, I had to remove one of my hibiscus trees because Rebel's casque was getting stuck between the limbs. The light is a florescent so it puts off very little heat.

Hope this helps....:D

in my exp with hibiscus, do not buy the ones from lowe's/home depot that are out in the full sunlight. like most plants, they adapt to the amount of sunlight that they are receiving, and if you bring them inside under a lamp, they most likely will not be getting that same amount. try to buy one from inside the greenhouse or that is in a more shady area. even so, the larger ones, still seem to need a fairly good amount of light; much more than most

do they give off heat?

and is it safe for the chameleon?

i'm about to go and buy a 24x24x48 cm cage is that a big enough for an adult male veiled?

Have you read the caresheet for a veiled? It tells you all about cage sizes. That should be your first place that you look for anything concerning the type of chameleon that you have. If you do not find the answer in that the next step would be asking in the forums here as there are many cham owners here that are very knowledgeable and also a few vets as well.

Yes, they are safe for chams. Check out www.lightyourreptiles.com. They have dual and quad bulb systems that have an Arcadia UVB linear bulb and also a 6500k plant light all in one setup. I have the dual bulb and it is an amazing setup. They are also a site sponser.

ive had fairly good luck thus far with them inside but i do have a lot of light on them..2 plant grow florescent's..and alot of water, hibiscus s a tropical plant so be sure to keep them well watered but not saturated. they are all doing well and sprouting new growth but i do have to rotate them because my chams love to eat them lol. all of the ones ive gotten were covered though so they were not in direct sunlight

Have you read the caresheet for a veiled? It tells you all about cage sizes. That should be your first place that you look for anything concerning the type of chameleon that you have. If you do not find the answer in that the next step would be asking in the forums here as there are many cham owners here that are very knowledgeable and also a few vets as well.

Yes, they are safe for chams. Check out www.lightyourreptiles.com. They have dual and quad bulb systems that have an Arcadia UVB linear bulb and also a 6500k plant light all in one setup. I have the dual bulb and it is an amazing setup. They are also a site sponser.

The Dual HO t5 fixtures w/ a UVB bulb and a 6.5k daylight bulb are perfect--

depending on how big your cage is...

the quads (4 bulbs!) work awesome too.

Consider a "quad" t5 if your cage is pretty big.... or you have heavy plant growth.

But yes,
Hibiscus need TONS of light and also they like humidity and to be kept moist.
I have killed a few myself before I learned that lesson!:rolleyes:

:)

this is a 6 bulb HO t5 fixture for really big cages and Zoos:

Attachments

• 6 bulb with electronics package and timer.jpg
    6 bulb with electronics package and timer.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 120
There are also indoor & outdoor hibiscus varieties. Outdoors can be grown indoors but it is a lot more work to keep healthy.

Hey Todd, how long can you get the 6 bulb unit? Does it come in a 72" version?

The only 6 foot 72" unit I have is a "quad unit"
4 rows of bulbs.
(It actually has 8 x 34" 39w HO t5s.)
It also has built in LED nite lites, & they are on an independent cord & switch so their use is optional.

The 6 bulb panel lights with built in timers and nite lite.
The 6 row of bulb units come in either 3 foot or 4 foot.
The LED nite lites are on a timer so their use is use is also either optional ...or "timed".

You could use 2 x 3ft to make 6 foot (total 12 x 34" 39w bulbs):D:D

Feel free to e-mail me for more details. ;)

Thank you!
Todd

ps. I am "posing" with the 72" quad unit in my avatar.. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom