Why Cant My Chameleon Open His Eye?

He's a Veiled Chameleon about 2-3 mts old i have him in a 3ftx2ftx2ft wood vivarium.He has a basking site about 90f and an ambient temp of 84.6f.He has a heat mat and dripper system and all nessasary lighting.

It took me ages to get all the equiptment to house him after i was offered several unsuitable(in my eyes)vivariums & equiptment by pet shop owners i did everything i though right i thought to provide the best & im already having a problem.He has several branches & vines with some live(non-toxic)plants to climb around on.

Your ambient temp sounds too high. A chameleon needs a hot (basking) spot, as well as a cooler spot to cool down. There should be at least a 10 degree difference between basking and ambient temp.

You have no need for a heat mat - I would take it out right away.

What are the humidity levels? With that sort of heat in there, there is a possibility he is dehydrated. I would make sure you give him a long misting session, and thereafter mist him at least twice a day.

Go to The Chameleon's Dish and read through all the articles there for a guide on how to look after your cham. Also, look at this article on lighting and setting up a heat gradient: Gradients in cage design

Last edited:
I agree.
Ambient temp should be in the 70's (in my opinion) with a basking temp of around 85 for a veiled that age. Heat mat needs to go, and nighttime temps should be in the mid 60's.
Glad to hear there's a dripper running all day. He does need 2 to 3 mistings a day.
Although too young to pop in the shower, he should get the equivelent of that with at least one really long misting each day.

-Brad

Last edited:
Thank you so much for putting that straight for me seems i have been mis-informed.But i should have checked out many more websites on their general care.I have now taken the heat mat out and the cooler end is in the mid 70's while the basking area is 85f.I am about to mist him now.Thanks guys for the excellent advise and quick responses it made me calm down to a panic :D i only wish i had checked out the websites given other than the ones i had read.Will keep you informed on how he's doing!:D

Thank you so much for putting that straight for me seems i have been mis-informed.But i should have checked out many more websites on their general care.I have now taken the heat mat out and the cooler end is in the mid 70's while the basking area is 85f.I am about to mist him now.Thanks guys for the excellent advise and quick responses it made me calm down to a panic :D i only wish i had checked out the websites given other than the ones i had read.Will keep you informed on how he's doing!:D

Haha! We should have a thread for seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time chameleon merchandise purchases. My list is pretty long and includes a Habba Mister and "humidity pads."

Shell, sounds like you are doing right by your little cham. Eye infections have a habit of turning really nasty, so watch it closely and jump on it with a vet visit if it doesn't improve. You could have received a little guy who was on the verge of getting an infection, too. Hopefully, he comes around fast.

Heika

What I would suggest is some very long duration mistings. Make sure that your little guy gets wet and has an opprotunity to get any debri that may be stuck in his eye out. If not I would agree I would just take him to the vet as Heika said. Not much else you can do and it would be better to take care of it early.

Haha! We should have a thread for seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time chameleon merchandise purchases.

:) Ha! I don't need a thread for that: I need more space in my house for all the useless contraptions I've tried to build or buy for my cham enclosures.

1-Habba Mist
2-About a half dozen unfinished cages
3-Utility Sink for drainage
4-Various drainage contraptions that usually cost quite a bit to make.
5- Heat lamp mounting stands
6- Exo Terra glass terrarium.
I have collected more crap than a sewer inspector.

Closed Eye

Hi ppl...i sought some advise on my baby Chameleon when he wouldnt open his eye.To update i sprayed him 3 times a day and purchased beaphar eye and skin ointment which worked instantly.Anyone with simular problems should give it a try it worked wonders for my lil fella and he is now 100%:D
Thanx to everyone for the advise given.

Hey thanx guys my chameleon is sorted.I sprayed him and got some beaphar eye and skin ointment which worked instantly....:D

Back
Top Bottom