Who lets their chams play outside of their cage? How do you get them back in?

We’ve had this problem too. The stick trick can work, tipping the plant such that he’s basically faced with climbing back into the cage and encouraging him forward by placing a hand behind him or lightly touching his tail may coax him to climb in. We also like to use jungle vines - will set them up for him and when it’s time to go in, we wait for him to climb on a vine and gently lift it and place it in the cage. Also the way you lift him and the method you use as far as this is concerned is important too. I refined my handling method after trial and error and can now easily get him on my hand and back inside when I want to. For mine at least, the aggression when going back inside has passed gradually now that he’s aware it’s just a part of his routine.

We don't have cats, but we were given a bearded dragon by a neighbor whose son was off at college. Poor Reptar only has one eye, because a cat got into the open side of her tank.

I have been practicing my methods with my veiled and he seems to be getting used to me picking him and I assume it will get better as he gets older. He doesn't really get upset when I pick him up outside it's more when I try to remove him from his cages.

I have a small outdoor cage that I had no problem getting my female into but when I went to get her out in the evening, she almost never wanted to go. Then I realized it felt too open. once I put a potted plant outside the cage, near the door, I could lure her onto my hand. This way instead of climbing onto the bare branch (my arm) she was climbing among this nice plant. I since replaced that cage with a reptibreeze and that makes it even easier.

We’ve had this problem too. The stick trick can work, tipping the plant such that he’s basically faced with climbing back into the cage and encouraging him forward by placing a hand behind him or lightly touching his tail may coax him to climb in. We also like to use jungle vines - will set them up for him and when it’s time to go in, we wait for him to climb on a vine and gently lift it and place it in the cage. Also the way you lift him and the method you use as far as this is concerned is important too. I refined my handling method after trial and error and can now easily get him on my hand and back inside when I want to. For mine at least, the aggression when going back inside has passed gradually now that he’s aware it’s just a part of his routine.
How long do you let him stay out?

I have a small outdoor cage that I had no problem getting my female into but when I went to get her out in the evening, she almost never wanted to go. Then I realized it felt too open. once I put a potted plant outside the cage, near the door, I could lure her onto my hand. This way instead of climbing onto the bare branch (my arm) she was climbing among this nice plant. I since replaced that cage with a reptibreeze and that makes it even easier.
Wierd, mine only likes to come out in the evening

Back
Top Bottom