White stuff on my chameleon's nostril?

Most likely calcium , they realeas it from there nose when they get to mcuh

how much do you supplement ?

You might be over dusting your cham if you are getting the white flakes. It is just minerals your cham is getting rid of.

Remember, when dusting your crickets, they shouldn't look like little ghosts. They just be lightly dusted.

Once again...IMHO...its not calcium that causes the white around the nostril....its (sodium and chloride, I think) salts so cutting back on the calcium is not necessary. I have not found absolute proof of it but everything I read about excretions like that say that they are salts and that calcium does not form white around the nostrils.

You might be over dusting your cham if you are getting the white flakes. It is just minerals your cham is getting rid of.

Remember, when dusting your crickets, they shouldn't look like little ghosts. They just be lightly dusted.

I barely dust... I got him on Friday and I dusted his brokers with herptivite once on Sunday and it was my second time dusting with regular calcium without D3 just today... Thata a total of 2 dustings. I just got my calcium delivered to my house yesterday.

Once again...IMHO...its not calcium that causes the white around the nostril....its (sodium and chloride, I think) salts so cutting back on the calcium is not necessary. I have not found absolute proof of it but everything I read about excretions like that say that they are salts and that calcium does not form white around the nostrils.

Only one way to find out ;) Yummy

Ken 2414...This was said by a vet and there's no mention of calcium....
"A number of species have nasal salt glands for excretion of sodium and chloride in response to an osmotic load. White crusty deposits may be seen around the nares of chameleons as well as green iguanas and other lizards and are normal findings. Certain species also secrete potassium as well as sodium, and chloride or bicarbonate. The system helps to conserve water while ridding the body of excess minerals."...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/02NovDonoghue.html

Here's a little more info....
Post #21...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/white-stuff-my-chameleons-nostrils-15192/index3.html

Post #3...
http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/chameleons/14926-veiled-chameleons.html

lol kinyonga, i meant like taste to see if its sodium, i was in no way being serious. sorry for the confusion, my apologies :)

The only time I have found the white crusties is when I used to be new and would over dust my crickets..... Maybe it isn't calcium.... but it is a byproduct of over dusting?

Agreed

I agree with Summoner the only time I usually see that is on a Cham who hits around 4-5months and it almost lets me know to change my dusting w/calcium and other vitamins-minerals to 2-3 times per week. I also read about the sodium release in green iguanas and other lizards but i am quite sure it is the amount of extra trace minerals in the body the chamis excreating. IMOOT

Back
Top Bottom