White stuff in his nose.

Flacon67

Established Member
So I just got back from doing some stuff with my dad. Came back to turn off his lights I saw some white stuff only on one side of his nose. Not sure what it is. Please help

So I just got back from doing some stuff with my dad. Came back to turn off his lights I saw some white stuff only on one side of his nose. Not sure what it is. Please help
Can you send us a picture. If it is what I think it is, no big deal. Chams can’t sweat so they release the mineral crystals through a gland at the nose. But if you send us a pic much smarter people than me will confirm it.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 70
Hmm. Not sure about that. You should fill out the form that tells us everything about your guy and husbandry. Could possibly be RI.

Hmm. Not sure about that. You should fill out the form that tells us everything about your guy and husbandry. Could possibly be RI.
What’s RI. Well it’s only in one nose, so idk. Kinda almost like foam. But also at the end looks like a piece of fuz

Respiratory Infection. Hopefully not the case. My guy creates the crystal matter on his nose every other week.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? My chameleon is a male. It has been 1.5 week in my care. I don’t know the age.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have handled it 2 time sense I got it. It has been 3 days since I got it
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets are what I feed my cham. I give 3-4 crickets. I use fluckers orange cube to hit load them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am giving it zoo med calcuim and a rep cal- herptivite. I am dusting my feeders every two days. And vitamins every Saturday.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist the cage with room temperature water. I most for 2 min 4 times a day. I have never seen my chameleon drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? It is half white and have brown. My chameleon has never been tested for parisites. I don’t think
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I bought this veiled chameleon at PetSmart.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? My cage is a full screen cage. The deminsions are 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? We use a 100watt basking bulb and a 5.0 uvb zoo med bulb. I believe they are both zoomed
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The top of my cage, the basking spot is 92 to 80. We have a 100watt bulb. The basking spot is about 4 inches down from the top of the cage. I use a digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity is at 50-80. I have a dual thermometer and hydrometer but I don’t think it is very accurate.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?. We have no live plants at all. We have one big and twisty piece of wood with fake leaves on it. The piece of wood
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My cage is on my nightstand next to my bed. My top of my cage is about 4-5 off the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?: I am in Georgia

Also, while you are waiting, search the forum for that particular symptom. There may be already a thread on it.

Hi there... Your cham looks young. Better pictures tomorrow will help identify gender and approximate age. Also it will be helpful if you post pics of the entire cage lights down.
With your calcium does it say with D3?
You will want to be feeding more then 3-4 crickets. A younger cham can take down 12-15 feeders each day. Are you feeding daily?
Need to be gutloading feeders with better options. I will post a helpful graphic or you can by cricket crack or repashy bug burger.
The lighting on the top of your cage is it a double dome fixture with a screw in uvb bulb?
Basking temp should not be hotter then 85 degrees. You will want to drop your basking branch down. 4 inches down is a risk for thermal burns as well.
Are you using distilled water?

It could be an RI or it could be that you are over supplementing depending on what you are using. It could also be from the tap water if you are using tap water.
Here is a helpful link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Use the search function in the forum as well. It is filled with a wealth of knowledge.

Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg

Attachments

• nonUVB pic.jpeg
    nonUVB pic.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Basic Feeder pic.jpeg
    Basic Feeder pic.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 77
Well. I have it 3 crickets today and 2 yesterday. All with calcium powder without d3 accept for one.

Well. I have it 3 crickets today and 2 yesterday. All with calcium powder without d3 accept for one.
Read through this link https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
More then likely it is under 6 months old. Which means it should have 10-12 a day. calcium without D3 is fine on nearly every dusting as long as you are lightly dusting them. You do not want them to look like powdered donuts.

Back
Top Bottom