white stuff from the nose?

roboberry

My chameleon is pretty young and i have had him for about 2 months. just this morning i noticed white growth coming from both of his nostrils. some people say that he is eating too many vitamins. but the only thing is, is that i have only fed him the vitamin dust two times over the time i had him. what is wrong?

yea excess dusting usually causes that, but you stated you were aware and that you only have given him vitamin dusting twice. my suggestions would be dust the feeders really lightly, and up the misting/dripping for more hydration.

oh and what are the supplements you are using?

yea excess dusting usually causes that, but you stated you were aware and that you only have given him vitamin dusting twice. my suggestions would be dust the feeders really lightly, and up the misting/dripping for more hydration.

oh and what are the supplements you are using?

yes only two times
i spray his cage about 2 to 3 times a day
i use 'ReptoCal'

Its excreting excessive dietary salts, this is a normal function, shared by many lizard and bird species.
Sodium (salt) and potassium are included in many reptile supplements and overdoing those will in turn see your lizard excreting more, but this function naturally occurs regardless of supplementation
Vary your lizards diet as much as possible. :)

There was a thread with this within the last week. I'm not going to argue that dusting doesn't cause this- I'm sure it could be one of a number of things. Lizards do not sweat and this is how they excrete salts. My son and I have a terrarium with Cuban Brown Anoles that have not had a vitamin dusting a day in their lives, yet they excrete the salts from their noses. Green Iguanas will do this as well. I don't know if here is any way to tell if it's normal salt excretion or if your over supplementing. I'm very reserved about dusting for my chameleons- I prefer to focus on gut-loading, but my chameleons will excrete salt as well, and there is no way I'm over supplementing.

Its excreting excessive dietary salts, this is a normal function, shared by many lizard and bird species.
Sodium (salt) and potassium are included in many reptile supplements and overdoing those will in turn see your lizard excreting more, but this function naturally occurs regardless of supplementation
Vary your lizards diet as much as possible. :)

alright thanks
also this is a little off the topic but when he shed last month there is still a little piece of skin still stuck on his eye... is that bad?

No its not bad, if it annoys him, or you, try misting him a little more often. Nothing to worry about mate. Dont try to pull it off. :)

Back
Top Bottom