White spots?

C0nwayy

So, Conway’s 8 months old already but he hasn’t shed in a while. I got the rain system and stuff and I also spray manually so he can have water drops to drink from.
However, he’s grown these white spots all over his back. Could he be dying? I’m kinda worried about it as I heard chameleons turn white when dying. It’s not shed marks because it’s been there for a week or so, and I scraped gently but nothing, it stays there.
4E00285A-822E-4BB6-A000-B791F621F6BC.jpeg

The white spots keep increasing everyday, today they’re on his eye as well, he was also closing his eyes a lot so that’s why I got the water/rain system and that, at least, got better. He doesn’t close them unless there’s water on his eyes. But yeah these marks are also concerning me since my vet found out he had MBD before coming to my home and casque damage. Even when he’s in his basking colors, these white spots don’t go away, his basking spot is at 30°C, cool zone is 22 and at night time it’s 17.
I also noticed he hasn’t grown a lot for his age, he’s about to be 9 months old and he has the size of a 5 month old cham
I forgot to mention he’s lost appetite, he doesn’t eat as much as before. Maybe they’re thermal burns? The basking spot was higher before but I lowered it to 30 so

His color on back looks normal. Im more worried about the casque.. his casque looks like its scraped or burned. Can you post a photo of the whole enclosure and some more photos of him? If he had mbd you need to be extra careful on supplementation and lightning.

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum.

He's quite thin. How many insects do you feed him in a week normally? (I know you said he's not eating as much right now.)

What was done to correct the and and how did the vet decide he had MBD?

His color on back looks normal. Im more worried about the casque.. his casque looks like its scraped or burned. Can you post a photo of the whole enclosure and some more photos of him? If he had mbd you need to be extra careful on supplementation and lightning.
@kinyonga
Yes he was burnt on the casque and it bent when he had mbd, his vet says everything is fine now and now he´s eating again as much as before, I´m mainly worried about the spots on the back, I´ll get another picture later, he is as active as before.

Was he that thin before or has he lost weight?
Can he use his tongue now?
Are you using the vitamin A gel tablets now?
He lost weight the 5 days he didn’t eat but he is gaining it again, I am getting him silk worms today. His tongue is getting better slowly and the Vitamin A I stopped using it months ago. His bulb is an Exo Terra Hallogen bulb, 125 watts, and the maximum temperature is 30°C, I have natural pothos in his cage. I give him calcium (no D3) on every feeding and Multivitamin with D3 every sunday. He doesn’t show signs of MBD, as the tongue issue is a malformation on the hylloid bone and the doc told me to help him learn to shoot again. I’ll fill the form in a few seconds

@kinyonga I took some pics right now when he was sitting on me, one of his eyes is damaged I think. Oh yeah I also mist his cage 3 times a day and let the humidity get to 100 at night.

16D1DE88-6AEB-49D3-8389-818F7FE5C8F0.jpeg

This is his eye, when he opens it, he’s keeping it closed a lot of time.
And the spots on his back are weird because, you can’t really see them when he’s with his “happy colors” but you can see them when he’s basking
9F0CFBFE-B4E6-497D-B310-3830BFEAD06A.jpeg
2A3E4359-B9FF-427D-A1D2-236D6658BE01.jpeg

@kinyonga

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, had him since October 2020, he was Born the 27th of July.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once or twice a week as he’s already used to me.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him every day or every two days with crickets, calci worms, dubias whenever I can find some, wax worms whenever I can find some as well, black soldier flies when they hatch out of the cacoon, in fact I’m waiting for them to hatch rn, and today I’m getting hundreds of silkworms for him. He also likes to eat fruits and veggies, mainly strawberries, carrot, apple, zucchini, and canonigus, he loves canonigus and he always comes to me when he sees I am giving him them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exo Terra Calcium without D3 and Multivitamin with D3, calcium on every feeding, multi vitamin once a week, mainly sundays.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a bottle that created kind of a mist of water, I already ordered a humidifier with cool mist of course, it just needs to arrive.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He’s been tested for parasites, he’s okay. His poop is good, and so are his urates, they’re white,
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I got him from a breeder near my zone but I have a theory that they’re mass breeding because most of the breeders are from that zone. They had him with a compact 10.0 bulb and my vet said he showed signs of having suffered MBD before I got him, as well as the burnt casque. He had a slight sign of having it again but we got him the new bulb and he is okay now.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? My cage is a combo, all glass because here where I live we have a dry environment so it’s hard to kee the humidity with a mesh cage. Tho the upper part of the cage is metallic mesh and it has tiny holes on the front part. It’s 90 cm tall, 90 cm wide and 50 deep.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a 3 in 1 bulb of 125 watts, so I don’t have a basking bulb because my bulb already does it. However since the cage is wide as hell and I can’t put the bulb right in the middle because there’s a plastic separation and the bulb can burn it off, I have a “warm side” and a “cold side” for him. The warm side gets to 30°C on the highest and the humidity is at 50%, on the cold side I have an old T8 5.0 (an old one I had lying around so it’s not too strong) to create some light and so he can have a bit of UVB on that side. Since it doesn’t have more mesh, on the mornings I open the cage while I work next to him so new air can come in the cage and he can have some ventilation. When I’m not around, I cover the cage with a towel because he’s temporarily in the living room and there’s people and my dogs, so I don’t want him to stress. However he is used to my dogs, he doesn’t show stress signs when he sees them, he either hides in the plant or just stares at them, but I still don’t wanna risk it because one of them is always jumping and playing as they’re a puppy and I don’t want him to feel intimidated. So yes, when I’m not there I cover the front glass with a towel.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I mentioned it before but well, 30° highest where he basks, 22°C to 19° bottom part and the left side where his big plant is, around 22°. At night, temps go between 20 and 18.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity on the top is 50% and when he wants to cool down he comes to the cold side; where it’s 60%, bottom part is around 70%. At night I let it go to 100%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants, two pothos and another one that was named Cham idk what else but it burnt. I’m planning to get more pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Top part of the cage is 1’60 cm tall/away from the floor, it’s on the living room temporarily as I plan to move him later on to my room again. The fans are not being used but it’s nowhere near him anyways and it is a high traffic area (family and dogs) so I cover the front with a towel so he doesn’t have to see them.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Spain, Madrid. It’s a dry area so the vet told me to get the combinated glass + mesh cage.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. The spots on his back and his left eye.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
  3. 46E8928A-00FD-4B20-B7E1-47AB135B37DF.jpeg 821214BB-B1BE-486F-BC42-8DC58BEF6476.jpeg 865C4957-B770-437D-9AA8-7B4F164B505F.jpeg 07A981A6-6EE0-4E23-9AF7-4BADEEFFE14B.jpeg

canonigus ...lamb's lettuce?

In your original photos in this read, I wasn't concerned about the spots but in the last bunch of photos I can see why you're concerned...I am too.

Is there a raised bit in the middle of each spot? I think you need to see a vet and get a test done to see what it is. It could be a fungal infection or viral infection...but in not sure. Wish I could be.

Sorry for asking so many questions but sometimes the answers help me figure out what's going on. I'm not a vet and what I say comes from experiences with my chameleons and those of others and from what I've read or learned from vets along the way.

canonigus ...lamb's lettuce?

In your original photos in this read, I wasn't concerned about the spots but in the last bunch of photos I can see why you're concerned...I am too.

Is there a raised bit in the middle of each spot? I think you need to see a vet and get a test done to see what it is. It could be a fungal infection or viral infection...but in not sure. Wish I could be.

Sorry for asking so many questions but sometimes the answers help me figure out what's going on. I'm not a vet and what I say comes from experiences with my chameleons and those of others and from what I've read or learned from vets along the way.
Thank you so much for helping, don’t worry, feel free to ask. And no there’s not a raised bit nor any bumps on him. It’s more like a discoloration? Don’t know why though. And yes lamb’s lettuce. I’m waiting for him to shed to see if it goes off or not. I will start saving up for the next visit to his vet.

I wish I could tell you what it is....but I don't think a shed will solve it?
Yeah I don’t think so either but I hope it’s nothing too bad, I just spent a lot of money on his new cage and new stuff and I don’t think I can take him to the vet anytime soon so if you guys have any advice on what I can do, I’ll appreciate it. Sometimes I think it is a burn mark because his bulb is new and it was hotter before, now it’s 30°C maximum, but sometimes I think it’s an infection, or a burn mark with no infection, just in case, I applied some pomadona on the affected areas.

Pomadona?
Yeah it’s like a lotion that gets applied to people to treat infections, I read in this forum to use it every three days on chams in case it’s an infection. I’m starting to think it’s some kind of burnt skin tho, it isn’t bumpy, it’s just a discoloration.

Back
Top Bottom